Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cgrif288
Level 1
Level 1

VPN configuration

Postby cgrif288 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:00 pm

HI All

I am trying to get my PIA vpn working through networkmanager in my new LMDE install.
I have done this by importing the saved OpenVPN configuration (from the PIA website) on many other linux distros, but LMDE just times out and is not able to connect.

Any help or pointers are appreciated. I was able to get the vpn working following the directions here: https://www.medo64.com/2013/12/setting- ... n-mint-16/

but this is an inferior approach because the VPN cannot be turned on and off from the networkmanager try icon

Thanks,
Chris

darco
Level 3
Level 3

Re: VPN configuration

Postby darco » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Its been awhile since I set up my vpn...after adding the pertinent info into the network settings, I too imported the vpn .ovpn file into the home folder. The only drawback is that it only connects to that one vpn ip address whereas in Win10 it searches for the best/fastest connection.
Ill see if I have web link for how-to...
d

*install openvpn via synaptic

cgrif288
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cgrif288 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:16 am

That process worked fine for me in my Ubuntu vm, just didn't work in the LMDE host.
I'm not unhappy with how I've got it set up now, I just cannot connect/disconnect from the NetwrokManager widget, I have to go to the command prompt. Not a biggie, but not the most elegant either...

peterbuttler
Level 1
Level 1

Postby peterbuttler » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 am

Can you share more information about your VPN platform? I have a subscription of ExpressVPN, and I just write in the terminal ExpressVPN connect or disconnect and it automatically connects me to an optimal server instead of a single server. The method that you mentioned is done via manual configuration. The preferred method is to install dedicated VPN for Linux which automatically selects the best VPN protocol depending on your connection including the optimal server location.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:41 am

Maybe you could use PIA addon ? It works well and allows you to select different settings and also to select the country you want.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/i ... ller_linux
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

laurenaria10
Level 1
Level 1

Postby laurenaria10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:39 am

Good discussion i like it. However PIA vpn is one of the best specially for torrenting purpose.

Return to “Software & Applications”