IMAP and Remote Servers

Questions about applications and software
feralcounty
Level 1
Level 1

IMAP and Remote Servers

Post by feralcounty » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:35 am

I am using Mint 17.3 64 bit with Thunderbird 38.3.0. After connecting my email addresses to the remote server, (Iprimus) I have discovered that there are no check boxes for me to automatically delete messages from the server as they are downloaded to my mail system. I have had to revert to the POP protocol until I can resolve it as my server mail boxes fill quickly! ..........feralcounty.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: IMAP and Remote Servers

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:13 am

I cannot follow. With IMAP protocol TB acts as a remote control fo the server. The mails are still on the server.
What do you want to achieve with "automatically delete messages"?

feralcounty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by feralcounty » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:22 am

'Automatically delete messages'
As my emails are being downloaded from the Iprimus server, I want them to be deleted.
i.e. I have no use for the original message, as I now have a copy of it.
I find there is no provision in TB 38.3.0 to automatically delete them.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:05 am

As Cosmo wrote already, when you use IMAP your Thunderbird is nothing more than a tool to look at the mail which is on the server. There is only one copy of the mail and it is located on the server. You don't have a copy of it. Deleting the messages here you loose everything so be careful.

When you use POP3 you download a copy of the message to Thunderbird which then stores it locally on your hard disk. Now you can erase the original one on the server. TB can not do that for you since it is connecting to the server by POP3. You need to open a browser and surf to the mail page on the server to delete the mail there.

Why do you want to delete them: is your external (server) mailbox too full?

Zill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zill » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:30 am

Mr.October wrote:... When you use POP3 you download a copy of the message to Thunderbird which then stores it locally on your hard disk. Now you can erase the original one on the server. TB can not do that for you since it is connecting to the server by POP3. You need to open a browser and surf to the mail page on the server to delete the mail there.
As a Thunderbird POP3 user, I suggest this is not quite correct as, by default, Thunderbird does both download messages and then delete them from the POP3 server. However, there is an option to "Leave messages on server" which can be useful for users wishing to access POP3 from multiple clients or webmail. See my example screenshot:
Thunderbird.png
As far as IMAP is concerned, I agree with Cosmo. and Mr.October that mail remains on the IMAP server and so Thunderbird is basically a viewer for such mail. See "Common misconceptions about Thunderbird":
IMAP accounts should have the same menu commands as POP accounts

POP and IMAP accounts are quite different. You read new mail in a POP account by downloading it from the inbox. It has a very download-centric view of the world. You read a new message in a IMAP account by opening a remote folder on the server. It only downloads message headers. It has a client-server view of the world. That's why you can do things such as read mail in all of your folders and upload messages.
A POP account needs settings such as "keep messages on server" because, by default, it downloads them to the hard disk and may delete the original (it depends upon the "leave message on server" setting). There is no need for those settings with an IMAP account because it keeps the message on the mail server when it reads it. It fetches a copy which it stored in memory, but never stored on the hard disk.
Tools -> Server Settings -> Synchronization & Storage -> "keep a copy of all messages for this account on this computer" is something completely different. It creates a optional offline folder in the profile which has a copy of the folders messages. You can't read those messages unless you're working offline and they had no effect on whats stored on the mail server.
See "Deleting messages in IMAP accounts" for further IMAP information.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:34 am

feralcounty wrote:As my emails are being downloaded from the Iprimus server, I want them to be deleted.
I doubt that, except you would have a special configuration, e.g storing the mails inside the Local Folders of TB. The mails are displayed.
SETHANATH wrote:I now have a copy of it.
Again: You don't have a copy with the usual IMAP use.
SETHANATH wrote:I find there is no provision in TB 38.3.0 to automatically delete them.
There is: You can define filter rules. But don't complain, if there are mails unrecoverable lost, if you do this. You have now be warned 3 times; all the rest is your own responsibility.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:54 am

Just for completeness (as the OP does use either an IMAP account or mixed the protocol types):

The idea behind POP(3) is originally, to store the mails only for the intermediate time on the mail-server, until the client collects the mails; than they get deleted on the mail server. The advantage for the mail-provider is, that he has only to provide a very small amount of space to store the mails. The advantage for the user is, that all, what he has downloaded on his computer, cannot get attacked and read by attackers, if the computer of the provider gets attacked.

The obvious disadvantage is, that mails can with POP3 only be read by one client. So an option has been added to the protocol to keep the mails for a certain amount of time; this is the option, as above shown for TB. In principle this option contradicts the idea behind POP, but is widely used as a good compromise.

Another strange thing, which only now came into my observation: Why do you use the far outdated version 38.3 of TB? Your version has a collection of bugs (which are been solved until the current version) and especially numerous security holes! :!:

Return to “Software & Applications”