Kernel Upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DissidentRage

Kernel Upgrade

Post by DissidentRage »

I started messing with my LMDE install again, which is still on 3.16. I'd had a number of problems months ago I never had the energy to resolve, and over the past week I was motivated again to fix them and now have a working display and wired connection.

I have an Nvidia GPU which has some pretty strong requirements for being set up, including having the source for the in-use kernel. I'd installed 4.1.0-2 way back in the day but could never get the kernel source for it, so I now have to select 3.16 manually in Grub so that I have a desktop interface.

Since whoever is managing the repos made the inane decision to completely break the way that repositories are supposed to work by having packages depend on packages not maintained in the same repository, I have been hesitant about going forward with an update. However, I am unable to remove the newer kernel so that I have a "safe" automatic boot, because in the process of removing 4.1 it says it will install 4.5.

I have not done this before and do not trust for things not to go wrong. Is there anywhere that has a precise, step-by-step instruction on installing a newer kernel's source code? The particular version is linux-image-4.5.0-0.bpo.2-amd64. Make no assumptions on my familiarity with the process.

[Edit] Well, this is going to be tricky. The aforementioned binary version in the repository doesn't even have a version match in the source repository listed when apt-get taunts you about explicitly disregarding what you tell it to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Kernel Upgrade

Post by deepakdeshp »

Update manager painlessly and safely installs newer kernels. Only the supported jernels fot the mint version can be installed which is taken care by update manager.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “LMDE Archive”