LMDE2 install - Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
andrewhg

LMDE2 install - Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode

Post by andrewhg »

I have installed LMDE2 on a new Laptop (Asus X540LJ-DM311T) and my old desktop.

These are the specs of the desktop:
SYSTEM HARDWARE:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33 GHZ x 4
Memory: 5.8GiB
Hard Drive: 108.9GiB
Graphics Card: Nvidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]

SYSTEM SOFTWARE:
Operating system: LMDE 2 Cinnamon 64-Bit
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=186?id=186
Cinnamon Version: 2.4.7
Linux Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64

Laptop Specs
SYSTEM HARDWARE:
Processor:
Memory: 5.8GiB
Hard Drive: (567.6 GB Before reinstall) (14 July 2016 After Reinstall 1566.4)
Graphics Card: Nvidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]

After install I ran

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
I then restarted the computer. On both systems I get and error on startup which says.
"Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode
Do you want to restart Cinnamon"
I have searched the forums and it seems like a common problem. I am guessing it is caused by the upgrade because it worked fine before I did the update.

This is what i have done
Fresh install on the desktop and it booted up great. I haven't yet run the update or upgrade which is what I am going to do. I then installed mintupdate using the little shield on the bottom right corner.
After a restart. Many new updates were showing in the little shield. About 160 of them. I guess the only way to determine which of them is causing a problem is to install each individually and see when it breaks.
I have noticed that the computer is quite laggy. For example typing doesn't keep up with me. The cpu is running at 60-70%. I checked running processes and cinnamon is using 47% of the cpu so obviously there is some issue there.
I will start by installing Cinnamon 3.0.6+betsy in the update manager.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”