Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Soybean
Level 1
Level 1

VLC Stuttering.

Post by Soybean » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 am

Hi gang!

Since installing LMDE I've had a problem with VLC stuttering on video playback. MKV and MOV files stutter every three or four seconds.

Several sources via Google suggest this is a hardware problem, however, I was running VLC via Debian Wheezy on this same hardware and there was no problem with stuttering, so that seems unlikely.

Another Google suggestion is that it's a problem with ALSA. This may be the case, as I uninstalled PulseAudio because it didn't (and in my experience, never does) work. Google suggests that Ubuntu users install VLC 3.0 from the nightly PPA. Not quite sure what Debian users do here.

The (regular, non-LMDE) Mint forum suggests deselecting hardware decoding acceleration, which I did. No improvement.

The last suggestion I found was using another player. Totem worked without the stutter. However, Totem simply doesn't have features I need in my regular use of VLC (I do some fairly idiosyncratic projecting that various features of VLC are useful for and Totem can't do). I haven't used any other video players, not sure what else is out there.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem and a solution might be?

Cheers!

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: VLC Stuttering.

Post by richyrich » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:31 am

I took another forum member's suggestion and installed smplayer (& skins, themes). I now use it exclusively, it does everything that VLC did, but better and faster!
I no longer use VLC, and haven't missed it, or any of it's features, at all.

Just a thought . . :)

Soybean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Soybean » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:55 am

That does indeed seem to fix the problem, and it does indeed seem to do everything VLC does! SMPlayer it is! Thanks, Yellowbeard! :D

(Not sure about that YouTube viewer, though. It appears to do everything YouTube in Firefox does... except block ads, so... not as good.) :roll:

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Post by richyrich » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:03 am

Haha, you got me! You probably noticed that I left that one out of the list in my reply above. :-)
Me too, I need abp if I'm at YT.

regards,
yellowbeard . . aargh!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:59 pm

Hey yellowbeard, any suggestions for smplayer skins? 8)

I just installed it as per your recommendation and I don't particularly care for the default look.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Software & Applications”