Cool Edit 2000 runs under WINE!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Cool Edit 2000 runs under WINE!

Post by kevinthefixer »

This might mean nothing to anyone but myself. But if you own a copy of Cool Edit 2000 and want to use it, it can be done. I originally bought it to record and clean up my massive collection of vinyl records, and did so. It's a marvellous tool for that, but I haven't been able to get it to run on Windows 7 plus, even in 32-bit mode, and I've missed it. I still occasionally find some old vinyl gem at a yard sale or swap meet, and no other program has done as well, although Audacity has gotten much better over the years. But the ability to run Cool Edit 2000 on LMDE2--well, it's not either Christmas or my birthday, but it feels like both!

But to the nuts and bolts, simply install WINE and WINE32 from software manager. The default WINE installation does not include the 32-bit capability (presumably because most people want to run 64-bit games on it), so make sure to install WINE32 also. Then install the programs ce2kmain.exe and ce2kreg.exe by using "open with" /usr/bin/wine32; it goes just the same as installing it on WindowsXP, you have to feed it user names and serial numbers as appropriate. Then the same for the noise reduction package and whatever other plugins you might have for it. Now, according to the WINE app database, Cool Edit Pro will not run if its directX file is in place, so I didn't install the directX plugin package. I don't recall ever using those anyway.

I've submitted it to the WINE app database, and the admin has suggested that I test it on a newer version of WINE (the stable repositories have 1.6.2, the latest is 1.9.something). I may do that in the future, but for now I'm just pleased to have it back, it's working just fine!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cool Edit 2000 runs under WINE!

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thats great. You csn try Audacity in Mint which has similar functionality.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install audacity 
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I used to use CoolEditPro in Windows 98SE. It was good. But now I use Audacity, which meets my current needs. If I need more, I will install Ardour. CoolEdit was sold to Adobe, who calls it Audition, and I understand that Audition runs in Wine, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Audacity has improved drastically, yes. As of v2.0 it's actually useful, and I have digitized a few vinyl records with it. I found it lacking, however, compared to Cool Edit 2000, and its click-and-pop module is far superior. A friend brought me some old Grateful Dead records, which as you may well imagine, were not in good shape; I was able to save them with Cool Edit 2000. I wouldn't have even tried with Audacity.

Cool Edit Pro is also listed as working under WINE, BTW, if you delete one file that refers to directX. So if you still have all your downloads and serial numbers it should go.

Return to “LMDE Archive”