Before you post please read how to get help
IgnatiusReilly
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] No login after cinnamon update

Postby IgnatiusReilly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 am

Hi,

I have LMDE2.
After the last update of cinnamon-screensaver (from 3.2.6 to 3.2.8 ) in the new system lock screen (the one that appears after the suspension and the screen lock) I cannot log-in anymore.

After having typed the password if I press enter or click on the log-in button nothing happens.
In order to enter I need to go back to the main log-in by pressing the other button (change user) and then log in.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Last edited by IgnatiusReilly on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erathiel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No login after cinnamon update

Postby Erathiel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:35 am

I am experiencing the same issue with cinnamon-screensaver 3.2.8 on LMDE2. What I've noticed is that each screen lock produces a new process: /usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/pamhelper/cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper that is eating a lot of CPU time. I've tried stracing the cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper and received an endless loop of:

Code: Select all

poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN}, {fd=6, events=POLLIN}, {fd=10, events=0}], 4, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
recvmsg(6, 0x7ffea60d7460, 0)           = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN}, {fd=6, events=POLLIN}, {fd=10, events=0}], 4, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
recvmsg(6, 0x7ffea60d7460, 0)           = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

I've also tried the following:
  • killed cinnamon-screensaver
  • run cinnamon-screensaver --debug in the terminal
  • locked the screen and tried to unlock it by typing the password and hitting Enter and by clicking the 'unlock' icon
  • having failed the above I resorted to the 'Another user' method

erathiel@e31:~» cinnamon-screensaver --debug

(cinnamon-screensaver-main.py:2747): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:63:17: Theming engine 'unico' not found

(cinnamon-screensaver-main.py:2747): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:63:17: Theming engine 'unico' not found
Cinnamon Screensaver support not found in current theme - adding some...
Trying to connect to logind...
Starting screensaver...
Successfully using logind

couldn't grab keyboard

(cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper:2758): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:63:17: Theming engine 'unico' not found
pam_start ("cinnamon-screensaver", "erathiel", ...) ==> 0 (Success)

(cinnamon-screensaver-main.py:2747): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon screensaver-unlock-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 128

(cinnamon-screensaver-main.py:2747): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon screensaver-switch-users-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 128
Handling message style 1: 'Password: '
Waiting for respose to message style 1: 'Password: '
Waiting for lock
Waiting for response
Got message style 1: 'Password: '
Output from pam helper: 'CS_PAM_AUTH_SET_PROMPT_Password: _'
Output from pam helper: 'CS_PAM_AUTH_BUSY_FALSE'
Output from pam helper: ''
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/unlock.py", line 297, in on_auth_enter_key
    self.on_unlock_clicked()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/unlock.py", line 290, in on_unlock_clicked
    self.auth_client.message_to_child(text)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/pamhelper/authClient.py", line 101, in message_to_child
    b = GLib.Bytes(string.encode())
TypeError: boxed cannot be created directly; try using a constructor, see: help(GLib.Bytes)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/unlock.py", line 290, in on_unlock_clicked
    self.auth_client.message_to_child(text)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/pamhelper/authClient.py", line 101, in message_to_child
    b = GLib.Bytes(string.encode())
TypeError: boxed cannot be created directly; try using a constructor, see: help(GLib.Bytes)
Found no MDM server, ordering a new one
Locking cinnamon-screensaver

^C
erathiel@e31:~» ps aux | grep screensaver
erathiel    2846  0.0  0.0  13984   988 pts/0    S+   12:27   0:00 grep --color screensaver

I've checked for the cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper process but obviously it was killed by SIGKILL-ing the main cinnamon-screensaver process.
<><
Swim against the current.
Only dead fish and fallen leaves go with the flow.

kikobyte
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kikobyte » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Same here. The only way I could overcome the issue is to go to tty1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), login from the command line and run

DISPLAY=:0 cinnamon-screensaver-command -d

IgnatiusReilly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby IgnatiusReilly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 pm

I have just discovered that the last proposed update (from 3.2.8 to 3.2.9) solves the issue. :wink:

Erathiel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Erathiel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:49 pm

IgnatiusReilly wrote:I have just discovered that the last proposed update (from 3.2.8 to 3.2.9) solves the issue. :wink:

Yup, I created an issue on GitHub and it was resolved almost instantly. Now unlocking the screen works properly :)
<><
Swim against the current.
Only dead fish and fallen leaves go with the flow.

Return to “Software & Applications”