Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jonnymopar
Level 1
Level 1

Installing f.lux on LMDE2

Postby jonnymopar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Has anybody tried using f.lux with LMDE/LMDE2? I know there's a native Linux version, but all of the installation guides I see talk about PPAs. Any help would be appreciated.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Installing f.lux on LMDE2

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:20 am

Redshift is in the repositories, which I take it does the same thing. Or do you actually need f.lux because it does something Redshift doesn't?

For f.lux it appears you will have to install it manually as per their instructions: https://github.com/xflux-gui/xflux-gui. Of course you can try just downloaded the .deb file from the PPA and see if you can install it anyway on LMDE 2.

jonnymopar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jonnymopar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:38 pm

Interesting reading about Redshift. I'll have to try it. I was mainly looking for f.lux because it's working great on my Windows box. It's claim to fame is the fact that it subtracts blue light instead of just pouring on extra red. I've tried other ones that just added a ton of red and it looked pretty bad. Black areas appear a reddish-brown, where with f.lux, black and other darker colors appear to remain unchanged.

If Redshift can provide the same results as f.lux, then maybe I'll use that instead. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to try both.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Looking at the configuration example for Redshift at its homepage http://jonls.dk/redshift/ I think it can? You can set the color temperature but you can also set the gamma for each color channel independently.

Return to “Software & Applications”