Kodi wont update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GoldNugget
Level 1
Level 1

Kodi wont update

Post by GoldNugget »

Hello:
I've been struggling to get Kodi to update. I'm stuck at v. 14.2. I've tried several methods to upgrade but no luck. Theres supposed to be a newer version in the Backports (v.16) but even with them enabled and updated, I still get the message that Im running the latest version.

I've been patient hoping an upgrade will be pushed out in the normal channels but no luck yet and my favorite addons are no longer supported. Reading the forums, it seems others have succeeded at this upgrade but none of the directions have worked for me. Could someone give me some clear instructions or perhaps v 16 could be moved into stable? (17 is already in testing)

Thanks for any help.
LMDE2 Betsy - AMD64
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Kodi wont update

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hey GoldNugget,
Even when you add the backports, you still have to explicitly install the package you want from backports. After that, you'll continue to receive updates from backports for that particular programme.
What does this say?

Code: Select all

apt policy kodi
Cheers!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Penn

Post by Penn »

What did you do to add backports? Create a file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list with the backport line? Update the apt cache?

sudo apt-get update
Check if it worked with the line Fred asked for and the result should be similar to this (your installed version won't be the same as mine yet).

apt policy kodi
kodi:
  Installed: 16.1+dfsg1-2~bpo8+1
  Candidate: 5:14.2+repack-dmo1b2
  Version table:
     5:14.2+repack-dmo1b2 0
        500 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
 *** 16.1+dfsg1-2~bpo8+1 0
        100 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports/main amd64 Packages
If I remember correct you might have to uninstall Kodi 15.2. This normally isn't necessary but below I'll mention the version numbering issue with Kodi. So if you also want a more recent version of LibreOffice you just install with the current version in place but Kodi you might have to uninstall first.

sudo apt-get remove kodi
Don't do more than for removal (such as purge) so your previous settings for Kodi will remain.

As Fred said, you have to install with a particular command.

sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install kodi
For some reason the main repo numbering and backport aren't in agreement about the most recent so when doing updates the system thinks 15.2 is more recent that 16.1 so after doing that you need to remove Kodi from the update manager by refreshing the update manager then right click the Kodi line and choose to ignore (you can add it back later if needed). If you use Synaptic Package Manager you need to do "pin" it there too. Under "Package" and choose to lock the version. If you don't use Synaptic don't worry about that.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Penn wrote: For some reason the main repo numbering and backport aren't in agreement about the most recent so when doing updates the system thinks 15.2 is more recent that 16.1
That's because the version from the main repo (15.2) is actually from the "deb-multimedia" or "dmo" repo, which epochs the version number so apt always thinks the program in dmo is the absolute latest version.
viewtopic.php?f=242&t=226646#p1195957

I'm really not a fan of that... :x I ended up just removing all my dmo packages. viewtopic.php?f=241&t=227270
If I need 'em later, I'll apt-pin the dmo repo so it behaves! :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Penn

Post by Penn »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Penn wrote: For some reason the main repo numbering and backport aren't in agreement about the most recent so when doing updates the system thinks 15.2 is more recent that 16.1
That's because the version from the main repo (15.2) is actually from the "deb-multimedia" or "dmo" repo, which epochs the version number so apt always thinks the program in dmo is the absolute latest version.
viewtopic.php?f=242&t=226646#p1195957

I'm really not a fan of that... :x I ended up just removing all my dmo packages. viewtopic.php?f=241&t=227270
If I need 'em later, I'll apt-pin the dmo repo so it behaves! :lol:
I guess I did say "main" repo instead of "dmo". Actually the post above that shows the pin for dmo is altered from my actual apt policy output since I have the pin at 100 which ended up being the route I went after I first read that thread.

If I am correct, I had to uninstall VLC and reinstall it to get the security patched version after the pin change. The main reason I didn't just remove dmo was at the time I was doing quite a bit of editing of some old music videos with avidemux which is only available in dmo if I wanted easy reinstall. There would have been some other adverse effect for me if I removed it but I don't remember what.

Is dmo in any way officially affiliated with Debian? If so, my statement stands of "for some reason" but if not I guess the "for some reason" is really a matter of why LMDE uses it, lol. I'm not a fan of their numbering either and now I know their "reason" for doing it.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Penn wrote:Is dmo in any way officially affiliated with Debian?
It's not officially affiliated though apparently a Debian dev runs it:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedi ... _Debian.3F
This is a common misconception in regards to what deb-multimedia.org is. Although dmo is run by a Debian Developer and used to make use of the word "Debian" and the Debian trademark, dmo is in fact not a part of Debian or affiliated with Debian in any way. The fund-raising that happens there does not go towards Debian. As far as we understand it, dmo is maintained by only two people, neither of whom are a part of this team.
- Albert Einstein
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

debian ??? why not use the official kodi instructions http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

trytip wrote:debian ??? why not use the official kodi instructions http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux
The OP is. The official instructions you linked say to use the backports repo for Debian. ;)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”