Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
topolinik
Level 1
Level 1

Need for Marco

Postby topolinik » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 am

I have my main pc with ubuntu mate 16.04 and I recently installed lmde2 mate also (the 201503 stable release).
The /home directory is on a shared partition, so mate configuration files are shared as well.

Now, the issue.
Ubuntu with up-to-date mate (1.12.7) runs fine.
Lmde installed, mate 1.8.something shipped, everything is fine. System update, now with mate 1.16.1. Reboot with ubuntu.

Now, instead of my usual 4 desktops, a single desktop is available. Windows have no decorations. Focus follows my mouse cursor. Very strange. My desktop is almost useless.
Well, if I open mate terminal and run "marco" everything is wonderful again.
It seems in my profile setup, "marco" is now missing. But... with mate 1.16.1 (lmde) it gets launched! Why it doesn't under mate 1.12.7 ?

What's happened in my home dir?

PS: I ask here, and not on ubuntu forum, because mate is more recent on lmde side, and i think it generated this issue.

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Need for Marco

Postby itsme4401 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 am

As far as I - a relative newbee - understand Debian-based systems, you have mixed up the hidden files, which contain all settings of the system(s in this case), of your two systems. Those files are in the HOME-directory and can be made visible by hitting Control-H.
No, unfortunately I can't give you any advise on how to get a solution form this problem.

axm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby axm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:43 am

To start, try to find not writable files (with that user), there are obvious candidates, but if you want to be thorough use for example something like this:

Code: Select all

find . ! -writable -a ! -path "*/.git/*" -a ! -path "*/.wine/*"find . ! -writable -a ! -path "*/.git/*" -a ! -path "*/.wine/*"
[... more exceptions]

topolinik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby topolinik » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Thank you for this 'find' usage.
Result in my home are:

Code: Select all

./.cache/dconf
./.cache/tilda/locks/lock_1823_0
./.thunderbird/3kq4e2fh.default/lock
./.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/lock

(I removed some entries since I know I set read-only mode for them by myself)

The only odd entry is the first one, that ./.cache/dconf
Is that usual this way?

Return to “Software & Applications”