upgrade to betsy cant access partitions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DenBow77

upgrade to betsy cant access partitions

Post by DenBow77 »

Hello,
I have an older AMD 64 X2 system. I had a stable LMDE setup working well, but after a while of no updates, I decided to do an in-place upgrade to Betsy. After the operations ceased, the system boots fine, but I can't access the other (work data) partitions on my hard drive. I also have to start system applications like "gparted" and "synaptic" from a root terminal.

I believe that some of the file or directory ownership and permissions may be confused in the home directory. Is there a map or guide that tells me what permissions and ownerships are needed for the system to operate well?

Can anyone help me, please?

I can access everything with a live CD boot of Betsy.

Thank you for any and all assistance with this,
DenBow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: upgrade to betsy cant access partitions

Post by austin.texas »

DenBow77 wrote: Is there a map or guide that tells me what permissions and ownerships are needed for the system to operate well?
Everything in a user's /home should be owned by the user. You can run this command to make sure everything is correct:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
DenBow77

Re: upgrade to betsy cant access partitions

Post by DenBow77 »

Thank you for that information. I will try this and reboot later to check out the changes to the system.

Return to “LMDE Archive”