Indicator-LockKeys...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Indicator-LockKeys...

Post by tenfoot »

On my desktop computer I use Indicator-LockKeys and want to use it - or something similar - on my laptop running LMDE2.

A search of the Debian website has been unsuccessful in finding this utility, which leads me to the conclusion that the developer has not released this for Debian.

Does anybody on the Forum know of a similar utility available for LMDE2, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Penn

Re: Indicator-LockKeys...

Post by Penn »

Mate or Cinnamon? If you don't know "inxi -Sz".

What distro have you used it on in the past?

Was it installed by a PPA and if so what is that PPA? On the PPA page you should be able to find a .deb file to install.

If you are using Cinnamon there are 2 methods I know of off the top of my head. What I do is in System Settings go into Accessibility then choose the Keyboard tab and turn on the indicator for caps and num lock. What that will do is show a display whenever you press either key for a few seconds to show the change of state.

Another way if you want the state always showing is right click the panel and choose add applets then view the online choices and you should find at least one "app to do that".
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "tenfoot",

Have you checked the Debian repositories for "indicator", indicator-keylock, "key lock", key-mon, or "key status" or "key lock", gkrellm, etc...

Avoid ACCIDENTAL ALL CAPS With This Nifty Indicator Applet
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/indi ... eys-status

Indicator to display status of lock keys for Ubuntu & Debian - see deb file download
https://github.com/SergKolo/lks-indicator

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Penn wrote:Mate or Cinnamon? If you don't know "inxi -Sz".
LMv18.1 MATE ib Desktop. LMDE2 on Laptop.
Don't see the relevancy to the present situation. :oops:
Was it installed by a PPA and if so what is that PPA? On the PPA page you should be able to find a .deb file to install.
On my Desktop installed via PPA. LMDE2 does NOT support PPAs
If you are using Cinnamon there are 2 methods I know of off the top of my head. What I do is in System Settings go into Accessibility then choose the Keyboard tab and turn on the indicator for caps and num lock. What that will do is show a display whenever you press either key for a few seconds to show the change of state.
Not available in MATE
Another way if you want the state always showing is right click the panel and choose add applets then view the online choices and you should find at least one "app to do that".
Not listed in the MATE applets.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

phd21 wrote:Hi "tenfoot",

Have you checked the Debian repositories for "indicator", indicator-keylock, "key lock", key-mon, or "key status" or "key lock", gkrellm, etc...
I did do a search but not with some of the search terms you suggest. So, back to the search engine again. :)

Indicator to display status of lock keys for Ubuntu & Debian - see deb file download
I've downloaded these. If I don't find anything else which catches my eye, I'll have a go at installing them.
Hope this helps ...
Very helpful.
tenfoot
Penn

Post by Penn »

tenfoot wrote:
Penn wrote:Mate or Cinnamon? If you don't know "inxi -Sz".
LMv18.1 MATE ib Desktop. LMDE2 on Laptop.
Don't see the relevancy to the present situation. :oops:
But you saw it as relevant when I asked about the DE? Yes it is relevant since something on Fedora (just one example) might not work but something from Ubuntu will probably work in LMDE.
On my Desktop installed via PPA. LMDE2 does NOT support PPAs
What is the PPA? I could talk you through how to acquire the .deb from the PPA page to see if it works in LMDE (which, as said above, Ubuntu stuff usually works in Debian). Then you might be able to have the exact solution you are already accustomed to.
Pogo555

Post by Pogo555 »

phd21 wrote:Hi "tenfoot",

Hope this helps ...
Had a similar problem with my EeePC netbook. The LED goes unnoticed and a stream of ALL CAPS LEAVES MY KEYBOARD...

The indicator works as required, catching my untamed shouting before it gets too far.

Thanks for the link.

Pogo

Return to “LMDE Archive”