How to install pipelight/silverlight

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
plaidon

How to install pipelight/silverlight

Post by plaidon »

Hello I am a newbie, need Silverlight for my Browser. On Linux I found we can use pipelight or moonlight. But the installation instructions (for ubuntu) always start with ppa ...... How to do this on LMDE 2 ?
I already installed Mono-complete but pages with Silverlight dont work :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to install pipelight/silverlight

Post by Moem »

plaidon wrote:the installation instructions (for ubuntu) always start with ppa ...... How to do this on LMDE 2 ?
Don't look for instructions for Ubuntu: LMDE is not Ubuntu-based. Look for instructions for Debian.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "plaidon",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Why do you think you need to install and use "pipelight/silverlight", for what purpose?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
plaidon

Post by plaidon »

Hello guys, of course I know LMDE 2 is based on Debian (not Ubuntu) thats why i chosed it.
I have a important Software that I need for work all day long, who only runs on Windows.
This Software is also available to run in Browsers but it needs silverlight.
In have my windows in VM to use this software but it is not handy.
I dont like WINE, because it dont work in this case.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "plaidon",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Please be more specific. Specifically what important software do you "need for work all day long" which only runs on Ms Windows that requires "pipelight/silverlight" to be installed in your Linux browser, and which browser "Firefox"? If we knew exactly what software that is, and which browser, we can then make accurate replies.

In case you did not already know, anyone can install Virtualbox or VMware in your Linux Mint system, and install a version of MS Windows (as a "virtual machine") into that, and install and run anything related to MS Windows while still in Linux Mint without dual booting. Of course this requires a computer with enough system memory (Ram) (4gb or more) to do this comfortably, and initially some time and effort to setup.

Easy Linux Tips Project (Great Linux website)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/oldgrub

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
plaidon

Post by plaidon »

Hello phd21,
I do not understand why you need my hardware specifications?
Last week i installed the latest Betsy ISO on my Packard Bell Laptop with 8GB Ram, i5-Prozessor. That programm i need to run is an Trading-software for stockmarkets.
The Broker only supports Windows plattforms.
My actual solution to work with LMDE, is to run my Win7 in Virtualbox, but it is not handy. (I need Fullscreen in VM till then the windows are muddled, the software is java-based i think.)
But the most time I boot windows to work like usual.
This is the last piece of software who tethers me on Windows.
The best way i think would be the web-based version, but it requires silverlight.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "plaidon",

Knowing what edition and version of Linux Mint and what hardware you have (inxi -Fxzd) tells all of us trying to help you know what your computer can do or handle, obviously. If you only have a single core CPU processor, 2-3gb of system ram, then running Ms Windows within Virtualbox will not work too well. A computer with an Intel i5 processor and 8 gb of system memory can easily run Virtualbox with a version of Ms Windows in that along with any Ms Windows software installed in that.

Knowing exactly what type of software you think you need "pipelight/silverlight" for, like which trading software or broker you use, will let us trying to help you, see what options are available for that as well. You still have not told us what trading software and or broker you want to use is? Browser's like Chrome and now Firefox have DRM (Digital Rights Management) built-in, so you do not need to install "pipelight/silverlight" for that reason anymore.

Any of the browsers can easily install and use a "user agent switcher" add-on to make it seem to certain websites, that you are using another computer operating system and or browser. For instance, I could make websites that I visit think my Linux Firefox running on Linux Mint think that I am running Ms Windows and Firefox for MS Windows.

Example of a good user agent switcher add-on
https://addons.mozilla.org/nn-NO/firefo ... ed/?src=ss

And, you can easily run most Java based software natively in Linux Mint by installing Oracle Java 7,8, or 9, and the open source Java (OpenJDK Java 8 ) is already installed in your Linux Mint system. But, some Java software requires Oracle's Java to run. I always install Oracle's Java 7,8,& 9, and make sure that I also have the open source Java 8 installed as well. There are a lot of really nice Java applications available that work great in Linux Mint.
phd21 wrote: check out current Java version by running:

Code: Select all

java -version
FYI: How to run a typical Java app.
Right click and open with Java
or run from console terminal prompt, or create a new desktop launcher (shortcut), using the command below.

java -jar jarfilename.jar

Oracle Java and Open Java installation

The various versions of Java may already be available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Install new Oracle Java 9 In Ubuntu, Linux Mint, with links to install previous versions (6,7,8 stable).
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/02/install- ... linux.html

Install new Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu, Linux Mint, with links to install previous versions (6,7).
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install- ... a-ppa.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

For Java7
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

VIP: Switching between Oracle Java 8 and Java 7
Later on, if you want to switch Oracle Java 7, use the following command (make sure "oracle-java7-installer" package is installed):
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-7-oracle

And, switch back to Oracle Java 8 using:
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-8-oracle

If you get some warnings when running these two commands, ignore them.

VIP: Setting Java environment variables
To automatically set up the Java 8 environment variables, you can install the following package:
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OpenJDK Java 8 has been made into official Ubuntu repositories for 14.10 Utopic and higher.
For Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04, and Linux Mint 17 users here’s how to install it from PPA.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 12-04-lts/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openjdk-r/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk

VIP: If you have more than one Java versions installed on your system. Run the command below to set the default Java:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Type in a number to select a Java version.
And set default Java Compiler by running:

sudo update-alternatives --config javac

4. Finally check out current Java version by running:

java -version

It outputs something like this:

openjdk version "1.8.0_01-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_01-internal-b04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b08, mixed mode)
Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

This article is 3 years old and might be of some help to you. Most browsers for linux now include the WideVine plugin for DRM content and at most just need a user agent string change for most sites. This site gives Debian specific instructions on how to install and enable Pipelight.

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-pipeli ... d-steamos/

Return to “LMDE Archive”