Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kryssb
Level 1
Level 1

VNC and RDP are practically unusable

Postby kryssb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:54 am

I have two workstations that are occasionally accessed from remote (doing work from home).
I installed VNC and RDP on both, and I find the same big problems on both:
1) Cinnamon crashes and falls back, presumably to MATE;
2) In this fallback environment, if I press the "s" key (lowercase) in whichever window, be it by keyboard or even by the on-screen virtual keyboard, the floating menu shows up. I can't type "ls"!!! But if I apply "Shift", the uppercase "S" works without problem.
I have just found more problems: "h" -> minimizes a window; uparrow maximizes it. It's impossible to work.
I have no clue how to move on. The fact that it happens even with the virtual keyboard points to some very low-level problem.
I am quite worried, I have been happy with LMDE for three months, I could never figure out that I could meet such a nasty trap.
The keyboard is WinKeys, Italian layout.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Last edited by kryssb on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

kryssb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VNC and RDP are practically unusable

Postby kryssb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:19 am

I found a similar problem for Ubuntu, but the solution offered there doesn't work for me:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478185

kryssb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VNC and RDP are practically unusable

Postby kryssb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am

The origin of the problem is still obscure to me. Key mappings look correct. Using xev to check the events it seems that character mapping is done "top-down", i.e. with respect to the outermost window. Of course, because at top level "s" shows the menu, this prevents any other inner-level mapping.

However, I found that this is a problem of Cinnamon only. I managed to switch to MATE and XFCE for VNC and RDP and neither works unexpectedly. So I will keep Cinnamon for my local desktop and XFCE for VNC/RDP.

Return to “Software & Applications”