Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Lost Mesa GL and can't boot AMD 64bit - Enemy Territory

Postby h4Lcy0n » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:44 am

Ok, this is going to sound stupid.

I was trying to get 'Enemy Territory' working as per the http link below and when i start up ET, (i'll call Enemy Territory 'ET' for short), it wouldn't start because it was missing 'libgl1-mesa-swx11:i386', so i went to Software Manager and couldn't find it and when i tried to install it through console it said there was a conflict with Mesa or something, so i went back to Software Manager and found 'libgl1-mesa-swx11' assuming that must be the i386 version and installed it, which incidently removed Mesa GL (i think).

If you search Software Manager and look up 'libgl1-mesa-swx11' it says..
-----------------------
Details
Version: 10.3.2-1+deb8u1

Size: 4MB to download, 11MB of disk space required

Impact on packages:
The following packages would be installed: libjs-jquery, libgmlib1, libmusicbrainz3-6, gnome-mplayer, libosmesa6, gecko-mediaplayer, libgmtk1, libgda-5.0-4, libgda-5.0-common, libgmtk1-data, libdiscid0

The following packages would be removed: xplayer-plugins-extra, gstreamer1.0-clutter, gir1.2-xplayer-1.0, libclutter-gtk-1.0-0, libtotem0, xplayer-mozilla, libcogl-pango20, mint-meta-debian-codecs, libclutter-1.0-0, totem-mozilla, xplayer-plugins, totem, libcogl20, xplayer, libcogl-path20, totem-plugins, libclutter-gst-2.0-0, gir1.2-totem-1.0, libxplayer0, libgl1-mesa-glx
-----------------------

So i thought, what the heck.. if it breaks my system i'll be kicking myself, but if it works i'll have endless amount of fun playing ET!
Of course i ignored my instinct and installed it and it broke my system.
Now i can't log into my computer because i've lost my mesa GL and all the following packages listed at the bottom of that Details above.

Question; what are the commands from recovery mode to remove 'libgl1-mesa-swx11' and it's dependencies and reinstall Mesa GL and all the dependencies that were removed to get my system back online? Then i guess once i get it working someone can tell me how to get ET working on my 64bit system without breaking it again. :roll:

https://wiki.debian.org/Games/WolfensteinEnemyTerritory

ps. I'm using my old t-rusty backup laptop with LMDE2 on it, thank God i didn't throw it out.
Last edited by h4Lcy0n on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eating fish and squid, swimming, nodding off to sleep, frolicking in the sun, countershading from Orca's, building a rocket and Mars landing capsule.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost Mesa GL and can't boot AMD 64bit

Postby h4Lcy0n » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:46 am

OK, good news.
I managed to get my network up in root recovery mode, autoremoved 'libgl1-mesa-swx11' and it auto reinstalled the glx driver or something and now i can login normally to LMDE2. I'm assuming i will have to reinstall the other things listed on the bottom half of that Details page in Software Manager that libgl1-mesa-swx11 removed, right? I should use the Package Manager to reinstall them i think? Well, i'm not so stupid after all. :) Go me!

ps. it's a good thing i'm not living on Mars by myself or the ISS, or i'd be running out of oxygen by now or something catastrophically similar.
Anyone know how to get Enemy Territory working without destroying my GL? I'm missing 'libgl1-mesa-swx11:i386'
Eating fish and squid, swimming, nodding off to sleep, frolicking in the sun, countershading from Orca's, building a rocket and Mars landing capsule.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost Mesa GL and can't boot AMD 64bit

Postby h4Lcy0n » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 am

OK,
Really love that Package Manager, makes life so much easier.
I reinstalled with it:
xplayer-plugins-extra, gstreamer1.0-clutter, gir1.2-xplayer-1.0, libclutter-gtk-1.0-0, libtotem0, xplayer-mozilla, libcogl-pango20, mint-meta-debian-codecs, libclutter-1.0-0, totem-mozilla, xplayer-plugins, totem, libcogl20, xplayer, libcogl-path20, totem-plugins, libclutter-gst-2.0-0, gir1.2-totem-1.0, libxplayer0, libgl1-mesa-glx

Now my system is back to normal again, i notice that there is a 'libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686:i386' in Package Manager.
It's not the 'libgl1-mesa-swx11:i386' one i need to get ET working, but it looks similar. Will it work if i install it or will it mess up my system again?

This is the readout i get from trying to start ET..

----------------------------
ET 2.60b linux-i386 May 8 2006
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/root/.etwolf/etmain
/root/.etwolf/etmain/etmain/pak2.pk3 (22 files)
/root/.etwolf/etmain/etmain/pak1.pk3 (10 files)
/root/.etwolf/etmain/etmain/pak0.pk3 (3725 files)
/root/.etwolf/etmain/etmain/mp_bin.pk3 (6 files)
/root/.etwolf/etmain/etmain

----------------------
3763 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

------- Input Initialization -------
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
...loading libGL.so.1: QGL_Init: dlopen libGL.so.1 failed: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

youstupiddarkness
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost Mesa GL and can't boot AMD 64bit - Enemy Territory

Postby youstupiddarkness » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 pm

You tried to install the software-rendering i386 libraries on a system that was using 64-bit hardware rendering. They conflict with each other, so the system did what you asked and removed the hardware rendering parts your GUI was using.

You need to install the hardware rendering for i386, which are libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 and libgl1-mesa-glx:i386, after making sure you have enabled multiarch: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

Return to “Software & Applications”