Chromium doesn't want to be default browser :-)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Laptop LMDE2 Betsy 32bit Cinnamon

I prefer Chrome to Firefox. But Google have discontinued 32bit Chrome for Linux, so I installed Chromium instead. And I prefer Chromium to Firefox. But I can't find a way to make it my default browser. I open Chromium-Settings-Set as default browser, click it, and nothing happens. Close Chromium, open it again, and it is NOT the default browser.

I have gone to System Settings-Preferred applications-Web and selected Chromium. Close System Settings, go back to the setting for Web, and it still says Chromium, but when I open Chromium, it is NOT the default browser.

So, how do I make Chromium the default browser ?

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to make Chromium the default browser ?

Post by Dutchmaster »

Change setting in Preferences>Preferred Applications
John
Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

I take refuge in the 3 jewels of the Linux Dharma: Kindness and Generosity (Buddha), Freedom (Dharma), and Collaboration (Sangha).

100% LInux since 2002
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Thank you, that was my thought as well. But as I said in my original post
I have gone to System Settings-Preferred applications-Web and selected Chromium. Close System Settings, go back to the setting for Web, and it still says Chromium, but when I open Chromium, it is NOT the default browser.
Ron
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I'm opening a thread in LMDE2 'Software and Applications' as that seems to be a more appropriate forum
Last edited by ron_h on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Thread is now in LMDE2 Software & Applications

I see this in Ubuntu 16.04 with the Chrome browser and since I uninstalled Firefox it is the only browser and it still shows that it is not the default browser in the Chrome settings. It might just be a minor bug
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

LMDE2 32bit Cinnamon on old netbook with 32bit processor

System Settings-Preferred Applications-Web, choice of Firefox or Chromium, set Firefox as default. Open Firefox, check in Preferences and it is the default browser.

System Settings-Preferred Applications-Web this time set Chromium as default. Open Firefox, check in Preferences and it is now not the default browser. Open Chromium, and immediately a popup saying it is not the default browser. Click on 'make default'. Open Chromium Settings, and sure enough it is still not the default browser. Click in Chromium Settings on 'make default' but nothing happens, it is still not the default browser.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour of 32bit Chromium ?

Ron
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged into identical topic "How to make Chromium the default browser ?"

Return to “LMDE Archive”