Update Manager blacklist bug? Cinnamon 3.7 [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Penn

Update Manager blacklist bug? Cinnamon 3.7 [Solved]

Post by Penn »

I have the Debian backport version of Kodi installed, 16.1. Due to an epoch number in DMO the update manager will tell me the old version, 5:14.2, is the newer version. To avoid going to an older version I chose to ignore Kodi updates.

Since the upgrade to Cinnamon 3.7 and/or the immediately preceding Update Manager update that old version keeps coming back up in Update Manager. If I just uncheck it and run updates it will not install and disappear until the next time I refresh to check for new updates or reboot. Considering reboot will cause it to check for updates a few minutes after the system is up I think the common denominator is refresh of the Manager.

I do also have the backported kernel, 4.9 and I don't have anything blacklisted in the update manager of the system I sometimes play with, which I just upgraded from 18.1 to 18.2. I don't know if either of those things affect this.

I have no idea of where to begin for solving this issue and haven't checked git hub yet to see if this is a reported bug. Is this a bug I would guess anyone trying to blacklist something will get this behavior and if so will someone who has a git hub account report it? If it isn't a bug but instead just a problem for me, what should be my next step to resolve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Update Manager blacklist bug? Cinnamon 3.7

Post by Monsta »

dclement

Post by dclement »

PMFJI but I was about to post when I came across this thread. I can confirm that it also happens in XFCE, so it's not desktop-specific.

What about "locking the version" (either in Synaptic or with command line)? I bet the package would still appear in the list of updates, but since it's locked, it wouldn't get updated, is that correct?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I found out that the old trick that I've posted in this thread still works. :)
dclement

Post by dclement »

I've read the above thread and I think I gave a wrong advice. (I thought that locking in Synaptic and with apt-mark was the same.)

So, if the OP doesn't want to make use of this trick, then it would probably be better for him to use apt-mark.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Yes, Monsta, I would assume it is the same bug and "sudo apt-mark hold kodi-bin" worked. Thank you. There are quite a few apt based commands and that is a new one for me.

dclement - I was aware synaptic and Update Manager are blacklisted differently. I prefer to use mintupdate for updates and Synaptic for installs and troubleshooting. With future Mint versions not having Synaptic by default I hope full functionality of what Synaptic can do will be integrated into mintinstall and mintupdate especially seeing as Mint seems to have a mentality of user-friendly interface, which is usually GUI solutions.

Return to “LMDE Archive”