[SOLVED] Update Manager won't ignore specific update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Update Manager won't ignore specific update

Post by Fuzzy »

There is a "mint-search-addon" showing up in my Update Manager, which "enhances the results given by google" and "Currently supports Firefox, Flock, and Songbird." - it is a level 1 update.

I don't use Google search. I have asked Update Manager to "Ignore updates for this package". The update will disappear from the Update Manager for an hour...two? Three? Four? a day? And then returns. It is not listed as a security update, so I'm confused as to why it won't be "ignored".

I was tempted to uninstall (complete removal) the "mint-search-addon" - however, package manager shows that the mint-search-addon installed files into:
/usr/share/linuxmint/
/usr/share/linuxmint/mint-search-addon/

Besides the Firefox, Flock, and Songbird folders.

Am I safe to remove this from my system - or is it performing some other non-internet-browser function as well?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Update Manager won't ignore specific update

Post by Penn »

Known bug. viewtopic.php?f=238&t=249290&p

Shortened version to mark packages as being held from updates directly in apt use

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold (package name)
With, of course, (package name) being whatever package you want to ignore without parentheses.

If it is safe to remove you may be able to determine using Synaptic Package Manager (properties of package) to see if it has dependants (packages that use it as a dependency) which are critical.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks Penn - I tried the apt-mark command - and like using "ignore" in Synaptic, it appeared to work for a few hours, and now it is back again.

Not sure what else to try unless I do a full uninstall of mint-search-addon.

I'll wait just a little longer in case other thoughts come along.

Thanks again for your time!
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

I ended up just uninstalling the "mint-search-addon" - so far - no problems, and everything seems resolved. Marking as "SOLVED". Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”