[SOLVED] Firefox 55.0.1 won't quit?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TomRoche

[SOLVED] Firefox 55.0.1 won't quit?

Post by TomRoche »

Are OP observing the following, or "is it just me":

Recently (probably 11 or 12 Aug 2017) I updated Firefox via package manager to version=55.0.1. (I try to stay, and am currently, up-to-date WRT LMDE.) Ever since then, I've been unable to stop/exit Firefox with either C-q (preferred) or mainmenu>File>Quit. This seems very odd: I've been using Firefox since it was Netscape, and have never had this problem on Linux. (Support for C-q on Windows was always unreliable.)

The only current way I've found to stop Firefox is uttering (in console) `killall firefox`, which of course crashes the running session, which complicates next startup. FWIW I consider this a kludge, not even a workaround, definitely not a fix.

Anyone else having this problem? Alternatively, any suggestions regarding how to debug/fix? FWIW, I'm running

Code: Select all

$ uname -rsv
Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.43-2+deb8u2 (2017-06-26)

$ lsb_release -ds
LMDE 2 Betsy

$ cat /etc/debian_version

$ gcc --version | head -n 1
gcc (Debian 4.9.2-10) 4.9.2

$ /home/me/bin/get_NVIDIA_version.sh
nvidia-settings:  version 340.102

$ X -version 2>&1 | grep -ve '^$\|^[[:space:]]\|Current Operating System:'
X.Org X Server 1.16.4
Release Date: 2014-12-20
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-3-amd64 x86_64 Debian
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/LVM2_crypt-root ro nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0
Build Date: 17 July 2017  01:40:19PM
xorg-server 2:1.16.4-1+deb8u1+b1 (http://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.32.6

$ x-window-manager --version | head -1
metacity 3.14.3

$ /home/me/bin/get_GNOME_version.sh
GNOME version=3.14.1 date=2014-10-19

$ /home/me/bin/get_wm_version.sh
Cinnamon 3.4.6
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox 55.0.1 won't quit?

Post by xenopeek »

Likely one of your extensions is to blame. I'd recommend you refresh Firefox. Before you do so, take note of which extensions you have installed as you will have to add them after refreshing. Refreshing Firefox also removes any other customizations but keeps your bookmarks and such.

To refresh Firefox open Help > Troubleshooting Information and click the Refresh Firefox button. Alternatively, type about:support in the address bar to go there directly and then click the Refresh Firefox button.
TomRoche

fix, tool, forecast

Post by TomRoche »

xenopeek wrote:Likely one of your extensions is to blame.
Correct, and now that I have updated Tab Mix Plus to version=0.5.0.4, the problem is fixed. Thanks for your assistance!

FWIW, for OP finding similar problems, you may want to use (or copy/modify) this script for displaying information about the add-ons you have installed in your profile(s). Presumably the frequency of occurrence of this sort of problem will decrease now that Firefox is transitioning its extensions architecture.

Return to “LMDE Archive”