exaile always chrashs with the start

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Otto7

exaile always chrashs with the start

Post by Otto7 »

Hello,
I have a Dell D820 with LMDE2 and I like the exaile-Player. But it always crashes with starting it. On the terminal i get the following message:

INFO : Loading Exaile 3.4.0 on Python 2.7.9...
INFO : Loading settings...
INFO : Using de_DE ISO8859-1 locale
INFO : Loading plugins...
INFO : Loading collection...
WARNING : Exception occurred while loading /home/hurgelbira/.local/share/exaile/music.db
WARNING : Exception occurred while loading /home/hurgelbira/.local/share/exaile/music.db
INFO : Loading devices...
INFO : Connected to udisks2
INFO : Loading interface...
Speicherzugriffsfehler

Any idea?
Many thanks for your help! (I'm not very good at Linux as it runs most of the time fine... or I found the the solution on the net)
Otto
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: exaile always chrashs with the start

Post by xenopeek »

It's giving you a segmentation fault I think ("Speicherzugriffsfehler"). Possibly because of some problem in the file it mentioned. I'd try the following:
  • Make sure Exaile isn't running, also not in some hung background process (reboot or log out and log back in).
  • Rename the .local/share/exaile directory in your home directory to something else, so you can see if that is causing the problem. You can do this in your file manager (toggle to display hidden files from the file manager's View menu) or from the terminal with a command like mv ~/.local/share/exaile ~/.local/share/exaile-old.
  • Start Exaile from the terminal again.
Does it start now? If not, what messages are output now that it will start with an empty .local/share/exaile directory?
Otto7

Post by Otto7 »

Hello xenopeek,
I did what you suggested. The same fault was again:

INFO : Loading Exaile 3.4.0 on Python 2.7.9...
INFO : Loading settings...
INFO : Using de_DE ISO8859-1 locale
INFO : Loading plugins...
INFO : Loading collection...
INFO : Loading devices...
INFO : Connected to udisks2
INFO : Loading interface...
Speicherzugriffsfehler

I looked on the file manager - the same directory exaile was there again with all folders (all new)... and my old one also...

Do you have any further ideas?
Thank you!
Otto
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'd create a new user account (using User Manager in your menu), log in to that and try starting Exaile there. Does it work from a clean & fresh user account?
Otto7

Post by Otto7 »

Hello xenopeek,
thank you for your help.

I created a new user (it was only possible on the terminal with adduser, not on the Menu), but it showed the same as before.

What is to do now?
Thanks for helping!
Otto
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Sounds like a bug in Exaile - it's segfaulting whilst processing a database that it just created. I would see if there's an updated version available or else find another music player.
Otto7

Post by Otto7 »

Hello,
installation of a newer exaile-version didn't help - the same again...
Any ideas?
otto
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's probably not a good sign that Exaile has been removed from all current Ubuntu and Debian repositories. There's also not any PPA or .deb file download from the developers so you can't install the current 4.0.0 version. That Exaile won't start from a new user account—which rules out your music files as a possible something that Exaile crashes on—leaves us wih no remaining clues as to the cause.
MintBean wrote:find another music player.
It's probably time for that. Was there any particular feature of Exaile that made you want to use it? Nothing about it stands out to me as particular unique. If you just need a music player and audio tagger try Quod Libet and Ex Falso which combine to offer that.

Return to “LMDE Archive”