Will one of you developers take some responsibility for your error? Steam: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Will one of you developers take some responsibility for your error? Steam: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display

Post by Kenneth1 »

Ever since the last MDM update on 26.07.2017, Steam will not work anymore. I've tried posting to the facebook forum and no one knows anything. First off I'd like to say, this really blindsided me. If I had installed a level 4 or 5 update, then this would be all my fault, but this was a level one update. This is not the first time a level one update has caused big problems. I use a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750. I just want to be able either:

1) Revert to an older version of MDM and go back to playing my games or
2) Fix the problem.

I can't stress this enough to the devs. If you are going to label something level 1, you need to make sure it doesn't break someone's rig.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will ONE OF YOU DEVELOPERS TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERROR? Steam: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by dis

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Kenneth1.

Telling from your Update Manager History screenshot, other software packages were updated on the same day as MDM, e.h. xserver-xorg-core. So what makes you so sure that the Steam issue, which started after the update, has been caused by the MDM update specifically?

Could you perhaps post the terminal output of the commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
This would give us a few more technical details than just the model of your video card.

Just a question, very likely not really relevant, but a bit amazing to me: Why did you wait for more than 6 weeks before you reported the problem here?

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Will ONE OF YOU DEVELOPERS TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERROR? Steam: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by dis

Post by mr_raider »

Are you using an AMD card?

Open a terminal and run steam and see the output. Post it here:

steam

BTW this NOT a Mint problem, and is not related to mdm.
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

System:    Host: pwrmint Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) 
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.14.5+4) Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy 
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: B85-G43 (MS-7816) v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V3.9 date: 07/17/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 31998 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 4305 MHz 2: 4318 MHz 3: 4393 MHz 4: 3760 MHz
           5: 4268 MHz 6: 4234 MHz 7: 4312 MHz 8: 4114 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] bus-ID: 05:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.79hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 
           Card-3 NVIDIA Device 0fbc driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 05:00.1 
           Card-4 Logitech Webcam C310 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 003-009 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1192.3GB (10.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500LM012_HN size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SDSSDHP0 size: 64.0GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: INTEL_SSDSC2CT12 size: 120.0GB
           ID-4: /dev/sdd model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
           ID-5: USB /dev/sde model: Flash_Disk size: 8.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 25G (92%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
           ID-2: /boot size: 15G used: 80M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3 
           ID-3: /tmp size: 39G used: 50M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-4: /home size: 406G used: 80G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
           ID-5: swap-1 size: 15.73GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:28C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 232 Uptime: 2:51 Memory: 1105.0/15941.1MB 
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28 
I hope this helps
Last edited by Moem on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] tags for easier reading
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will one of you developers take some responsibility for your error? Steam: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by dis

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Kenneth1.

inxi tells that GLX is no longer enabled:

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] bus-ID: 05:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.79hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
I cannot tell from this recent inxi output what the state of GLX had been before mdm and xserver-org-core were upgraded from
+ 1.16.4-1+deb8u1 to 1.16.4-1+deb8u1+b1 (xserver-org-core
+ 2.0.17-betsy to 2.018-betsy (mdm)

Also I cannot tell from either the inxi report nor from the update manager screenshot which updated package or which updated packages may be to be blamed for the loss of GLX functionality.
It might even be something which is not visible in the update manager screenshot.

Maybe the logfiles /var/log/syslog gives a hint or the file $HOME/.xsession-errors.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will one of you developers take some responsibility for your error? Steam: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by dis

Post by Pjotr »

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the insolent and inappropriate shout "WILL ONE OF YOU DEVELOPERS TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERROR? :shock:

--edit: I see that one of the mods has already replaced the uppercase of the shout by lowercase. Well done. That leaves the offensive content intact, however.
Last edited by Pjotr on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Chatoo68

Post by Chatoo68 »

Just reinstall the NVIDIA driver. The xorg-server update has overwritten the GLX library files.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote:Am I the only one who's annoyed by the insolent and inappropriate shout "WILL ONE OF YOU DEVELOPERS TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERROR? :shock:
No, you're not.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Pjotr wrote:Am I the only one who's annoyed by the insolent and inappropriate shout "WILL ONE OF YOU DEVELOPERS TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERROR? :shock.
I did pass a comment on it and either it got deleted or I thought better of it and didn't hit send. Suffice to say, it's poor form.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Not a developer and it ticks me off :cry: I want my cake and eat it too
Last edited by Pepi on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Pjotr wrote:Am I the only one who's annoyed by the insolent and inappropriate shout "WILL ONE OF YOU DEVELOPERS TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERROR? :shock:

--edit: I see that one of the mods has already replaced the uppercase of the shout by lowercase. Well done. That leaves the offensive content intact, however.
No , you are not the only one :)
Last edited by Faust on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

I had hoped we would manage to analyze the problem which Kenneth1 had reported, identify the root cause and hopefully help Kenneth1 solve it.
I had further hoped that once this goal had been achieved the formal question could be cleared up and got out of the way more easily.

Therefore I would like to suggest to Kenneth1 to try what had been suggested by Chatoo68 5 posts above:
Chatoo68 wrote:Just reinstall the NVIDIA driver. The xorg-server update has overwritten the GLX library files.
and report back whether this brings back Steam to life.
Lifeline
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

Pepi wrote:Not a developer and it ticks me off :cry: I want my cake and eat it too
Oh yeah? How exactly am I "wanting my cake" and to eat it too"? Do you even understand what that means? Apparently not. For your expression to actually work, I would have to install bleeding edge packages (level 5) and then throw a temper tantrum when those bleeding edge packages don't work without tweaking. There I fixed it for you. What I want is for my system to work. I don't pretend to be a developer or some sort of great linux user. This is why I deliberately set my rig so that I only install level 1 through 3 updates. I don't bother with anything more advanced because I am not prepared for something which hasn't been tested. The updates, whichever one screwed up my rig, were clearly in a level 1 package. Hence you are telling me that it's be thoroughly tested. So no, sir, I am not "having my cake and eating it too".
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

Maybe I wouldn't have to use "insolent language" if people wouldn't ignore posts. My original post was on for quite some time and no one responded. Yes this is the developers responsibility. Yes some developers do get paid by donations to the linux foundation of which I am a donor, so I have license to complain. Furthermore sir, I only use the "safe packages" because I know what my own capabilities are. So it's clear that the problem was caused by one of these "tested" packages. My rig was working just fine until one of these "tested" level one packages caused havock on my machine. This is not the first time I've seen a so called "approved package screw up someone's machine. I had a black screen of death happen to my friend who was using cinnamon after one of these level one updates was installed. I had a hard time convincing him to turn in his mac for Linux mint. Needless to say, it made a very bad impression. I had to back up his disc using the command prompt and start over. It took me hours. So please spare me the sanctimonious nonsense.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Kenneth1 wrote:My original post was on for quite some time and no one responded.
Where is this post? Facebook? Not the right place to post for technical help.
Yes some developers do get paid by donations to the linux foundation of which I am a donor, so I have license to complain.
None of the Mint developers or those helping in this forum are paid by the Linux foundation, so give them a break.

If you want professional support try Ubuntu as they offer paid support from as little as $150 a year.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Kenneth1 wrote:

Maybe I wouldn't have to use "insolent language" if people wouldn't ignore posts. My original post was on for quite some time and no one responded. Yes this is the developers responsibility. Yes some developers do get paid by donations to the linux foundation of which I am a donor, so I have license to complain. (....) So please spare me the sanctimonious nonsense.
A voluntary donation is not a fee; it does not buy you a license to get on your high horse and shout arrogant nonsense here.

By the way: I fail to see how this may have escaped your attention, but the Linux foundation is not affiliated with either Linux Mint or this forum.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

Pjotr wrote:
Kenneth1 wrote:

Maybe I wouldn't have to use "insolent language" if people wouldn't ignore posts. My original post was on for quite some time and no one responded. Yes this is the developers responsibility. Yes some developers do get paid by donations to the linux foundation of which I am a donor, so I have license to complain. (....) So please spare me the sanctimonious nonsense.
A voluntary donation is not a fee; it does not buy you a license to get on your high horse and shout arrogant nonsense here.

By the way: I fail to see how this may have escaped your attention, but the Linux foundation is not affiliated with either Linux Mint or this forum.
You're the one on your high horse. Not me.
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

MintBean wrote:
Kenneth1 wrote:My original post was on for quite some time and no one responded.
Where is this post? Facebook? Not the right place to post for technical help.
Yes some developers do get paid by donations to the linux foundation of which I am a donor, so I have license to complain.
None of the Mint developers or those helping in this forum are paid by the Linux foundation, so give them a break.

If you want professional support try Ubuntu as they offer paid support from as little as $150 a year.
I don't like Ubuntu. In fact my dislike for Ubuntu is why I advocate that we consolidate on LMDE and abandon mint based on Ubuntu. I think we should make a clean break. I think if we consolidated on LMDE, and all resources were devoted to LMDE, LMDE would be superior to Ubuntu...by a long shot. WIth the exception of incompatible package being installed without my knowledge, LMDE is better (imo) than regular mint and compared to Ubuntu, it's like comparing Ferrari to a Ford Pinto.

Again..due to some change which I believed to be safe my Nvidia driver is incompatible. I would very much like to uninstall the old one, but unfortunately what happens is whenever I try to install or uninstall any program I get the following prompt:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

So I do what's recommended and I get this:
────────────────┤ Configuring nvidia-installer-cleanup ├──────────────────┐
│ │
│ The nvidia-installer program was found on this system. This is probably │
│ left over from an earlier installation of the non-free NVIDIA graphics │
│ driver, installed using the NVIDIA *.run file directly. This │
│ installation is incompatible with the Debian packages. To install the │
│ Debian packages safely, it is therefore necessary to undo the changes │
│ performed by nvidia-installer. │
│ │
│ Run "nvidia-installer --uninstall"? │
│ │
│ <Yes> <No> │
│ │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

I pick yes

Then I get this:
Setting up nvidia-installer-cleanup (20141201+1) ...

WARNING: The '--no-runlevel-check' option is deprecated: nvidia-installer will
ignore this option.

Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.

If you plan to no longer use the NVIDIA driver, you should make sure that no X
screens are configured to use the NVIDIA X driver in your X configuration file.
If you used nvidia-xconfig to configure X, it may have created a backup of your
original configuration. Would you like to run `nvidia-xconfig
--restore-original-backup` to attempt restoration of the original X
configuration file?
[default: (N)o]: y

Regardless of what I pick, terminal hangs forever...so my computer i stuck. I can't install a program nor can I uninstall a program. I assume that if I could actually remove the offending driver then reinstall it...it might fix my steam problem...but I can't even uninstall. Now what?

Return to “LMDE Archive”