[SOLVED] How to add more space to Windows partitions?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] How to add more space to Windows partitions?

Post by screenshot »

i have similar partitions like on this picture here:
download/file.php?id=38703&mode=view

so how could i add more space to sda2 and sda3 from sda5 and sda6? (with gparted)
(i have swap as sda7, so sda6 would be like the /home partition in my case...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to add more space to Windows partitions?

Post by keithrboz »

You'll need to boot into your install disk/usb, as gparted can't operate on mounted partitions.

Start by deleting the swap partition.
Expand sda4 - the extended partition to take up the free space - my experience is that it is quicker to expand, move, shrink in separate operations than mixed.
Move sda5 so that you have room for your swap and your new /home partitions after it.
Create a swap partition - it was 3.95G
Create /home partition
Shrink sda4 to remove the space before sda5
Expand sda3 to what you want.
Move sda3 to the end of the free space
Expand sda2 as needed.
Apply - and go make a long cup of coffee. This lot could take a couple of hours

How would you feel about deleting linux and the extended partition? Then adjusting sda2 & sda3, Then start with a fresh linux as you would like it set up, in the free space? I'd reckon it would be quicker - depends on how confident you are about backing up your data.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok thanks. i might even do that because then i could also switch to cinnamon and get a new black look on it :)
but then i could also use some windows apps to extend some partitions? although i once even had some issues when i tried to copy files to a usb stick from a linux system, which then made all of the files not usable in the windows system later for some reason? :roll:
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithrboz »

Certainly you could use windows to modify the partitions if you delete the lines bits.

I have found that Windows will only recognise exfat usb recently, and mint needed additional drivers to use exfat. Ummmm
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

lines bits?
and i can copy all data to ntfs external drive then and they will later work in the new ext4 system also? (or the copying messes something up?)
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

Last edited by screenshot on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

Last edited by screenshot on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

so basically... the first usable partition(/dev/sda1) has a windows os on it and also has a "/boot" label on it, but the fresh linux install wants to install Grub on /dev/sda, so should i change it to /dev/sda1 or just leave it to the default /dev/sda?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

screenshot wrote:so basically... the first usable partition(/dev/sda1) has a windows os on it and also has a "/boot" label on it, but the fresh linux install wants to install Grub on /dev/sda, so should i change it to /dev/sda1 or just leave it to the default /dev/sda?
You definitely do not want to install Grub to sda1. Install Grub to /dev/sda
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok thanks.
so i basically removed all linux partitions and then created a new extended partition, leaving some unallocated space before it for the windows partitions. and after installing mint on /, i also chose to install grub on /dev/sda because i read from somewhere that this is the correct place, although it seems kind of weird that sda1 is marked as a boot partition, but grub needs to be installed on this 'hidden partition'(mbr...)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

screenshot wrote:although it seems kind of weird that sda1 is marked as a boot partition
sda1 is marked with the boot flag because Windows uses that convention. Linux does not need it anymore. :)
screenshot wrote:... but grub needs to be installed on this 'hidden partition'(mbr...)
In very simple terms, Grub needs to be installed to the MBR (which is not a partition), so that the computer's BIOS sees it when booting.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “LMDE Archive”