Firefox è = и, ù = щ

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
albaberto

Firefox è = и, ù = щ

Post by albaberto »

Word rendering with Firefox (57.0.4) in some webpage is behaving weird since around one week (I can not tell precisely when, I believe was after one of the last kernel update or firefox update. Can be?)
For example now I see in some blogspot blogs pages:

и instead of è
щ instead of ù

but if I copy paste the single letter to any other page or file it appears correctly as "è", "ù". If I save the page in pdf I get the и and щ.

In other webpages the rendering is as supposed to be.
I don't know how to better constrain the issue to be more specific.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox è = и, ù = щ

Post by xenopeek »

Is there a page where this is happening that you can share the link of? And make a screenshot of how it looks for you and share that as well.
albaberto

Post by albaberto »

Yes sorry, here I put two website where I get the "error":

News1
News2

Here you have a link with example picture I created from some screenshots:
Here

(I can not directly load the image, 437,9 kB are too much?)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Does it display correctly here? I copied the paragraph you had in your screenshot showing the errors:
Come vedete i francesi (les bleus) sono sempre stati sopra a noi, e sempre oltre il parametro di Maastricht (in rosso), e lo saranno almeno fino al 2019, con in più il fatto che il divario fra loro e noi è destinato ad aumentare (a indicare che noi saremo, secondo il Fmi, sempre più virtuosi di loro, oltre a essere di fatto in regola con Maastricht già da sei anni: sei anni di sacrifici che l'Europa ci riconosce così, sberteggiandoci!).
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, albaberto.

Both pages, news1 and news2, display here correctly, i.e. with special Italian characters, not with Cyrillic characters.
Could it be that inside the Firefox preferences => Fonts you switched from "Latin" script to "Cyrillic" script by mistake?

Firefox => Change fonts and colors ==> Other settings for Fonts
Also scroll down and check / correct the setting for "Text Encoding for Legacy Content"

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
albaberto

Post by albaberto »

xenopeek wrote:Does it display correctly here?
Yes, no problems.

karlchen wrote:Could it be that inside the Firefox preferences => Fonts you switched from "Latin" script to "Cyrillic" script by mistake?
I checked and the settings are for "Latin"

karlchen wrote:the setting for "Text Encoding for Legacy Content"
Here I have "Predefined for current language". In the language settings I have it, en, en-us.

If I save the pdf of the pages with errors, I get them in the pdf as well. If I then copy the letter from the pdf and paste in, lets say, Firefox I get the correct letter (I uploaded the pdf)

PS: I post the thread in the wrong section, I'm actually using LMDE and not the main edition. I would like to move it in the right place. Is it possible?
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to LMDE forum
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If I open the pdf file I also see those и characters and if I copy them to somewhere else they turn into è like you said. I'm stumped as what could cause this.

Only thing that comes to mind is do you perhaps have enabled something to block web fonts? In that case your web browser tries to find a font on your computer that best matches what the website uses. Possibly it picks a completely wrong font.
albaberto

Post by albaberto »

I'm using uBlock Origin 1.14.24 (and HTTPS everywhere) addon for Firefox but I already tried in switching it off and re-loading the page. No changes.
What is strange to me is that it is not happening in all webpages... I don't know if it is random or if there is a link with some specific settings. In any case, it's just bothering, I can still read things (most important).

Return to “LMDE Archive”