Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
Post Reply
cm1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by cm1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 am

Hi, what package do I need to fully install MATE on my current install of LMDE2 Cinnamon to have both desktops available?

mate-desktop-environment?

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by catweazel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 am

cm1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 am
Hi, what package do I need to fully install MATE on my current install of LMDE2 Cinnamon to have both desktops available?
Your next question will be "How do I fix this mess?"

It isn't advisable to create a frankendesktop. You're better off dual booting ... after taking a disk image with clonezilla ... or setting up a VM.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=235
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

zorzi
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by zorzi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 am

For a full mate experience, you can install: "mate-desktop-environment-extras"

But catweazel is right. Installing two different desktops side-to-side is never a good idea. You'd better test LMDE2 Mate with a live iso.
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / MX Linux 17
Laptop: Packard-Bell EasyNote G1320 (Celeron 1,3 Ghz, ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP, Ram 1,2 Go, HD 40 Go) / Debian Stretch

cm1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by cm1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks! I didn't know that two DE's can't exist well on the same system.

zorzi
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by zorzi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks! I didn't know that two DE's can't exist well on the same system.
Well, you can give it a try (for the worst and the better). But you must be conscious that, sometimes, there may be conflicts between software, notifications daemons and configuration files. Well, this can be fixed, though.
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / MX Linux 17
Laptop: Packard-Bell EasyNote G1320 (Celeron 1,3 Ghz, ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP, Ram 1,2 Go, HD 40 Go) / Debian Stretch

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm

I have been running both Cinnamon and MATE on the same system under different distros and have never had an issue.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by sdibaja » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:31 pm

I agree with all of the above.
The overlap of the Cinnamon apps and the Mate apps and config issues made it very distasteful for me.

In frustration I tried several other distros and decided I like Mate best, more than I like Mint. I wanted the best Mate experience available, and then I narrowed it down to just the Debian based distros. Keeping in my mind that LMDE3 will be Cinnamon only I decided to migrate early.

best of luck

cm1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by cm1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 pm

sdibaja wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:31 pm
I agree with all of the above.
The overlap of the Cinnamon apps and the Mate apps and config issues made it very distasteful for me.

In frustration I tried several other distros and decided I like Mate best, more than I like Mint. I wanted the best Mate experience available, and then I narrowed it down to just the Debian based distros. Keeping in my mind that LMDE3 will be Cinnamon only I decided to migrate early.

best of luck
What did you migrate to instead?

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by sdibaja » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:06 pm

cm1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 pm
What did you migrate to instead?
Debian Stretch Mate
The ISO I use is here

Code: Select all

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.3.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/
debian-live-9.3.0-amd64-mate+nonfree.iso
there are torrents for the same at

Code: Select all

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.3.0-live+nonfree/amd64/bt-hybrid/
non-free includes codecs and drivers
I start by installing mate-desktop-environment-extras with synaptic... then I build from there.

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Installing MATE on LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 pm

sdibaja wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:06 pm
cm1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 pm
What did you migrate to instead?
Debian Stretch Mate
The ISO I use is here

Code: Select all

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.3.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/
debian-live-9.3.0-amd64-mate+nonfree.iso
there are torrents for the same at

Code: Select all

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.3.0-live+nonfree/amd64/bt-hybrid/
non-free includes codecs and drivers
I start by installing mate-desktop-environment-extras with synaptic... then I build from there.
They're going to have to really screw Mint up before I leave it again.

I still like playing with Arch :roll: but for everyday I use Mint exclusively.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”