Can't I install VMWare on LMDE2 with the software manager?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
explodingbee

Can't I install VMWare on LMDE2 with the software manager?

Post by explodingbee »

Hi folks,

I want to install VMWare on LMDE2. I go to the software manager and in the search box I type "vmware." A bunch of things come up relating to vmware, tools and other additions to the program. But I don't see the program itself. I installed some of the additions but I don't see any of them listed in my list of installed programs. How do I install VMWare? Do I have to use apt-get or something? (I am fairly new to Linux.)

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Moderator: moved to LMDE2 Software & Applications
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can't I install VMWare on LMDE2 with the software manager?

Post by catweazel »

explodingbee wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:56 pm I want to install VMWare on LMDE2.
VMware is proprietary. It isn't in the repos. You need to download and install it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You should post these things in the LMDE section if running LMDE2. You're going to see a lot of recommendations that apply to Ubuntu based Mint that don't apply to Debian based LMDE2. For example, you cannot use ppa's in Debian or hence LMDE. It's much more conservative and restricted that way.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I believe most people here use VirtualBox rather than VMWare. But, to each his own.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
explodingbee

Post by explodingbee »

First my response to Catweazel: You wrote that VMWare is proprietary and not in the repository and that I need to download it and install it. Ok. Good. At least that steers me in the right direction. Thanks for your response.

Next my response to jimallyn: I want to install Fusion 360 (a CAD system) on Linux and I watched a video in which the guy said that he tried to that with VirtualBox and it didn't work. But he said it did work with VMWare. So that is why I want to use VMWare.

Next my response to Hoser Rob: You said I should have posted in the LMDE section. Ok. No problem. In the future I will do that (if I am using LMDE2).
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Just a suggestion: have you looked into running it under WINE? No virtual machine needed. I have an old audio editor (Cool Edit 2000) that suits my needs perfectly but won't run on modern Windows. Runs fine on LMDE2 under WINE, and I've just discovered it also runs on Stretch under WINE so the future looks bright (gotta get some shades).
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

kevinthefixer wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 pm Just a suggestion: have you looked into running it under WINE? [...]
I would have suggested the same, but alas .... https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=15617

I don't think Wine is a workable solution for Fusion 360 for some time to come ....
explodingbee

Post by explodingbee »

To DanielR: I went to the link you provided but it does not seem to say that Fusion 360 will not work with Wine, which appears to be what your comment is saying.

In the past I tried to use Wine and could not figure out how to use it at all.

To both DanielR and Kevinthefixer: But regardless of these things the video I watched said that Fusion 360 will not install with Wine either. If you are interested, the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJlwW5qIz8&t=8s (He mentions having unsuccessfully tried to install Fusion 360 with Wine and VirtualBox at 0:30 to 0:41 or so.)

Thanks anyways for your input.

Return to “LMDE Archive”