[SOLVED] What's the equivalent of Windows Disk Management on Cinnamon 18.3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
heartnotes

[SOLVED] What's the equivalent of Windows Disk Management on Cinnamon 18.3?

Post by heartnotes »

I just want to go ahead and format some of them, as I'm getting odd errors from Nemo when trying to explore them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What's the equivalent of Windows Disk Management on Cinnamon 18.3?

Post by catweazel »

heartnotes wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:47 am I just want to go ahead and format some of them, as I'm getting odd errors from Nemo when trying to explore them.
Just type 'disks' in the Mint menu.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

if you want to format them then install gparted with this command in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gparted
or do a search in synaptic.

WARNING: gparted is a very powerful disk partitioning tool. and you can destroy your install if you don't know what your doing. One of the reasons it's not installed by default. So use with caution. Double check before you commit changes to your partitions.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

"gparted". You might need to install it.
Start it from the menu, or from a terminal

Code: Select all

gksudo gparted
"disks" is liable to give you gnome-disks which can be flaky.

Edit: make sure you DON'T backup everything that's important so we can read your "How can I recover my files?" post!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
heartnotes

Post by heartnotes »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:09 pm Edit: make sure you DON'T backup everything that's important so we can read your "How can I recover my files?" post!
I haven't been using Mint long enough to have any important files or cruft, besides some random images I saved as I was browsing. :lol: Having logged into Firefox Sync on Windows previously turned out to be a real lifesaver to make transitioning easier when I found out Mint came with Firefox by default.

I've done a backup previously of my files, though I lost some previously (i.e. before I bought my external HD, which I keep unplugged mostly) to a corrupted/failed Windows 10 install. So even if I lost some installs on Mint, I wouldn't be losing any crucial data, just about a half a day I spent getting them installed and working together.

I will mark this Solved now, as I believe it answers my question.
Flemur wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:09 pm "disks" is liable to give you gnome-disks which can be flaky.

Edit: make sure you DON'T backup everything that's important so we can read your "How can I recover my files?" post!

Thank you for the tips. So Gparted is more likely to create a good format + disc partition for a future Windows 10 install then, over the default Disks included in Mint?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

heartnotes wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:06 amSo Gparted is more likely to create a good format + disc partition for a future Windows 10 install then, over the default Disks included in Mint?
I sometimes see posts here about "disks" (=not gparted) causing some issues (entries in /etc/fstab..?) but in any case most people just use gparted.
BUT! Although linux seems to do it OK, most people say It's best if you let windows format it's own partition since ntfs is proprietary (IIRC, the windows installer can format empty space or another partition, though windows doesn't like ext4 and other 'linux' partitions, and can't read them) But I've formated ntfs data partitions, readable by windows, with no problems.

"GNOME disks messes up partitions" :
https://askubuntu.com/questions/898024/ ... partitions
(It's from "freedesktop.org"...just sayin')
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
heartnotes

Re: [SOLVED] What's the equivalent of Windows Disk Management on Cinnamon 18.3?

Post by heartnotes »

I know this is a Linux help forum, not a Windows one, but I always run into the problem of Windows telling me it can't make the partition because it isn't allowed (in a fresh installation)

Return to “LMDE Archive”