Failed to Start the X server

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Failed to Start the X server

Post by Kenneth1 »

Since the last update, my laptop is now now bricked. I have an ASUS AMD A4 with a Radeon HD8670M graphics driver. I have tried the following steps:
sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp /home/oobe/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx

Completely useless. What' maddening is no one whatsoever seems to know just what the heck is going on. It seems everyone is reccomending the same steps. Ok then HOW do I uninstall the most recent updates! I'm quite furious as I was working on something important on my laptop and once again the graphics driver screws up due to an update. Seriously, graphic card drivers should be upgrade with absoulute caution and should be marked seperately. I can deal with a lot of errors, but what I cannot abide is the black screen of death followed by that stupid prompt that the xserver failed to start. GRRRRR
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Failed to Start the X server

Post by jimallyn »

Kenneth1 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 pm Completely useless.
What many here will see as useless is you ranting about none of these commands did anything, without posting the output from those commands. Did you get some kind of error message? If so, post it here. Without that, it will be very difficult for anybody to help you.

You can find the logs of what was installed/uninstalled/whatever in var/log/apt/history.log. (Older logs will be in /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz, history.log.2.gz, and so on.) Look through the log and figure out what most likely caused the problem, then remove it with sudo apt-get remove <NameOfSuspectUpdateHere>. Reboot.

Also, it sounds to me like you are able to boot to the command line? If so, then your computer isn't bricked.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

have you tried to purge the amd video driver? video drivers on linux are really bad in my opinion. you should have a fallback mode of some sort and most of the time it will just give you the xserver has failed to start screen. if you can uninstall the amd driver you might be able to get back to the default video driver that you started from when you installed the OS. I had similar problems with the proprietary nvidia driver and found out that i had to install a certain version of the driver that was only available through jessie-backports.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Kenneth1 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Code: Select all

sudo cp /home/oobe/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Is your username oobe?

Code: Select all

whoami

Return to “LMDE Archive”