[SOLVED] LibreOffice: Tab Font size too small

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hero4711

[SOLVED] LibreOffice: Tab Font size too small

Post by hero4711 »

Hi all,

I have a fresh Install of LMDE2 with all updates (@64 Bit Intel Machine). However, Tabs in LibreOffice are way too small.

The LibreOffice Forum https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... i?id=36772 says that it's either a problem with the theme or with LibreOffice itself. As they say it's fixed in 4.4 and I have 4.3.3.2, it's probably the version?

So, how can I fix this? I think it's best to stick with the official repositories, but this bug is quite annoying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LibreOffice: Tab Font size too small

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums.

I do recall longer time back on the Ubuntu based edition of Linux Mint the tabs at the bottom in LibreOffice Calc were not very high and could be hard to use because of that. Sounds like same issue?

LMDE 3 will have LibreOffice 5.2.7 so it should be fixed in that. I expect we'll see news about LMDE 3 in July. But that doesn't help you now or if you would want to stay on LMDE 2 for the long term support period.

LibreOffice have a lot of download options and for LMDE 2 I think the AppImage one should work: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/. You can try that. I'd suggest using the Still version.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Are you talking about the tab settings in the ruler or the tabs when shown?
Shutter_002.jpg
Last edited by JerryF on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:58 pmLibreOffice have a lot of download options and for LMDE 2 I think the AppImage one should work
I think AppImage is worth exploring, and the LO AppImage on LMDE. There are some things you will need to do....

First, you must make it executable. On the download page there are two sections on running the AppImage - one is from the GUI, the other is from the Terminal. I recommend running it from the terminal the first time to see if it throws out any errors.

Second, rename the AppImage. LO does not put the version in the filename, something I consider to be a grievous mistake and a damned nuisance. The version from the download page is 5.4.7.2, and you can/should rename it before you download. For example, if you download the Still-Basic edition, I suggest renaming it LibreOffice-still.basic-5.4.7.2_x86_64.AppImage.

Finally, the LO AppImage does not give you the option to integrate the AppImage to your desktop. If you want it to be a Menu entry or an icon on your desktop, you will have to do that manually.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
hero4711

Post by hero4711 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:58 pm I do recall longer time back on the Ubuntu based edition of Linux Mint the tabs at the bottom in LibreOffice Calc were not very high and could be hard to use because of that. Sounds like same issue?

LMDE 3 will have LibreOffice 5.2.7 so it should be fixed in that. I expect we'll see news about LMDE 3 in July. But that doesn't help you now or if you would want to stay on LMDE 2 for the long term support period.
Sorry, the notification seemed to be lost in my email box... Yes, it was exactly the same issue.

Finally, I used a Debian backport version of LibreOffice. That seemed to me the closest solution to 'official'. I have 5.2.7 now and that works like a charm.

In the meantime, I have LMDE3 at my notebook. Because LMDE2 is already close to perfect, LMDE3 is no real advance. Indeed, there are some points where LMDE2 was better:
  • in the default icon set, the buttons are way too small. So, the 1st action was to change that.
  • In MintUpdate, the practical priorities are missing (or the design is so inferior to that of LMDE2 that I can't see that anymore)

Return to “LMDE Archive”