Slow image loading in gthumb and Pix

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
[rua]

Slow image loading in gthumb and Pix

Post by [rua] »

Recently I switched from a 2011 barrel-bottom Samsung laptop (2 core Pentium B950; integrated graphics; 8 GB RAM; HDD) to a 2010 HP Elitebook (i7 640M; Nvidia NVS 5100; 8 GB RAM; SSD). It has a fresh install of LMDE 2, which I used on the Samsung.

I use the Mate DE. Gthumb has long been my photo viewer and editor of choice. On past systems it's always been fast to load images. But on the HP it tends to move very slowly. While it loads an initial image quickly, I must wait several seconds to load the next. That's a good 10-12 seconds with 18 MP pictures, or 6-7 with 6 MP. It does move quickly thereafter. It's as if gthumb, on this system, needs much longer to load the next few pictures into its memory.

I have the same problem in Pix, Mint's pretty much rebranded gthumb.

I have replaced the nouveau driver with the proprietary Nvidia one in the repos with no change in behaviour.

Is there a setting I can change? I doubt the software is at fault as it's the exact same version as was on the Samsung, where I had no such problem.

On paper and almost surely in practice, the HP should be the superior system, even if it's a year older. Could I have a hardware fault? Dodgy graphics card? Videos seem to play OK. Faulty RAM (I haven't run a test)? Something else I can look into?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[rua]

Re: Slow image loading in gthumb and Pix

Post by [rua] »

An update:

A 1.5 hr RAM test revealed no faults and the graphics card seems to be behaving in other applications.

I've installed gthumbpic and Xviewer. The image cache loads practically instantaneously in each. Xviewer has become my preferred viewer for images I don't need to edit.

I'm accepting the gthumb/Pix loading problem as a simple nuisance.

:)

Return to “LMDE Archive”