Lost desktop functions with Cinnamon Update 3.4.6+betsy [workaround]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Lost desktop functions with Cinnamon Update 3.4.6+betsy [workaround]

Post by bpeary »

After updating my LMDE 2 (level 3 updates) my desktop is just a background picture -- no shortcut icons, no right-click menu. I can get to those shortcuts by opening nemo in the main menu and opening /home/myusername/desktop, and they're all there and functional. Any suggestions to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Lost desktop functions with Cinnamon Update 3.4.6+betsy

Post by bpeary »

I should mention that I've tried some of the fixes in similar posts a few years ago: nemo -n, nemo -q, and changing/changing back 'show desktop icons on primary monitor', with no effect. Then installed and switched to mate, which works normally.
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Lost desktop functions with Cinnamon Update 3.4.6+betsy

Post by bpeary »

I found a workaround for this issue on the web. in menu - preferences - startup applications, add a custom application called anything (e.g., 'nemo workaround'), with the command nemo-desktop and a 5-second delay. There already was an entry for Files, calling nemo -n, which wasn't working. No amount of diddling with Files (e.g., changing the command to nemo-desktop, deleting and restoring) worked.

Return to “LMDE Archive”