[SOLVED] No regular Firefox in repository, only ESR ??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Sydney

[SOLVED] No regular Firefox in repository, only ESR ??

Post by Sydney »

Confused: there used to be the "normal" FF (default) as well as the ESR-version.
Now, the repository appears to substitute the normal FF with ESR v.60.1.
(And FF ESR shows v. 52.9)
When installing from terminal, the same thing happens: ESR (not regular) FF gets installed with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install firefox
The FF release page lists regular FF (not ESR) v.62.x as the latest one, so it appears to still exist.

What's going on ?

(LMDE Bety 64-bit)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: No regular Firefox in repository, only ESR ??

Post by Moem »

Why would you even try to install Firefox? It's already present by default on any new installation of Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

As per https://mozilla.debian.net/
WARNING: Jessie and Stretch backports of Firefox release and beta are gone because of the requirement of rust to build them, which is not available in Jessie or Stretch. Please update your apt sources to use Firefox ESR instead.
That was changed a while ago already though. Guess you haven't updated in a while.

The unstable repo has the non-ESR version.
Sydney

Post by Sydney »

Moem wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am Why would you even try to install Firefox? It's already present by default on any new installation of Mint.
I switched to ESR from regular in November. Now got rid of ESR, wanted to update regular. It mutated into ESR. Used old system backups from >1 year ago with regular FF v. 54, no ESR ever installed, ran update: regular FF turned into ESR. Same with an old system backup with regular FF v.56 (the last one that ESR was forked off from). Tried uninstalling FF (all versions). Installed regular FF from repo. Turned into ESR again, not regular FF. Then saw that Software Manager clearly lists an ESR - version under regular FF. Hence my question: is there no regular FF in the repo any longer ?
Sydney

Post by Sydney »

gm10 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 am As per https://mozilla.debian.net/
WARNING: Jessie and Stretch backports of Firefox release and beta are gone because of the requirement of rust to build them, which is not available in Jessie or Stretch. Please update your apt sources to use Firefox ESR instead.
That was changed a while ago already though. Guess you haven't updated in a while.

The unstable repo has the non-ESR version.

Thanks for that. I guess that throws my plan to revert back to the release channel at the EOL of v.52 ESR out of the window.
Would you happen to know if I am o.k. going from 52.9 ESR to 60.1 ESR ?
Or do I need to go back to v. 52.8 ESR and then to v. 60.1 ESR (graph below) in order to not scramble my profile ?
(At the time it was only possible to cross from FF release v. 56 or earlier to ESR, using a version >56 did cause problems).

Thank you.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I don't know. Just make a backup of ~/.mozilla to be on the safe side.
Sydney

Post by Sydney »

Going directly is said to be o.k.:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/prepari ... 018.81183/
(expand first post)

Return to “LMDE Archive”