Will Debian provide security updates after LMDE2's end of support after January 2019?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Will Debian provide security updates after LMDE2's end of support after January 2019?

Post by BrunoMiranda »

According to

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=276977

LMDE2 will have it's end of support in January 2019.

According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_ve ... ease_table

Debian supports Jessie with security updates until June 2020.

Question is, although the Mint Team won't support LMDE2 after January 2019, will it be possible for my LDME2 MATE installation to have security updates (it can be directly from Debian)?
Will this happen without the need for me to change configurations, or what will I have to tweak for this to happen?

I'm asking this because I have a 32 bits LMDE2 MATE with no upgrade to LMDE3 available. I hardly use this machine and I don't want to have the huge amount of work configuring this system for the little time I'll be using it...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Will Debian provide security updates after LMDE2's end of support after January 2019?

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, packages installed from the Debian Jessie package base repository will continue to get updates for duration of Debian Jessie's support period.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Will Debian provide security updates after LMDE2's end of support after January 2019?

Post by BrunoMiranda »

Thanks, xenopeek,

I already have

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main

in my sources. I assume this is good enough to keep this old machine at least for a couple more years. This ends up not being that bad at all for those of us running LMDE2.
Bye for now,
Bruno

zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Be sure to switch from Firefox to Firefox-esr...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That is a good catch zorzi. Thank you.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

Good point, Zorzi.

This means at some point the Mint and Debian's repos won't be providing Firefox regular updates. Just the ESR versions then? Can someone please clarify? Thanks.
Bye for now,
Bruno

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Debian only has Firefox ESR. Linux Mint adds the regular Firefox to LMDE 2. Once LMDE 2 reaches end of support, the regular Firefox won't receive further updates.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Will the OP need to disable Mint repositories after Mint support ends to avoid getting errors during updates?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think so. The repository likely stays online.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm Will the OP need to disable Mint repositories after Mint support ends to avoid getting errors during updates?
Nah, the Mint guys are not too bothered about shutting down the repos, they do even still have the LMDE1 stuff there: http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/

Return to “LMDE Archive”