Corrupted graphics with Intel i915 driver in LMDE 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE 2 Cinnamon taskbar corruption

Post by exploder »

Today there was a kernel update. Has the updated kernel made any difference as far as this bug?
giepen.m

Post by giepen.m »

Updated:

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux mcg 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1 (2015-04-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Bug persists (after restart of course)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I had my doubts but thanks for the response. I wish we could find the answer for this...
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

giepen.m I was reading this post and was curious to know how much ram you have? seeing you are using intergrated graphics,
atarax

Re: Corrupted graphics in Mint menu and Mozilla apps (LMDE 2

Post by atarax »

Just for the record: this bug can also be reproduced with the XFCE desktop environment, so I think it is safe to claim that is not depending on the desktop environment.
giepen.m

Post by giepen.m »

RAM not missing at all: 8 GB
HD: 124 GB SSD
Processor: i3 2.4 Ghz

Everything ran super smooth with LMDE1 even with two screens 22" screens. And it still does apart from that bug - don't think that this is a performance issue. And as MATE is affected as well that's not likely either.
zerozero

Re: Corrupted graphics with Intel i915 driver in LMDE 2

Post by zerozero »

have you tried to force the use of "uxa" backend https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... leshooting
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

zerozero, that's a good idea! I have read about this and you might be on to something! I knew the bug was not DE specific when the community member that was using Mate reported the same problem. Hopefully someone will try your solution and report back. Thanks for the help!
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I noticed your using x. org 1. 16. 4 driver try stepping down to x. org 1. 16. 2. 901 and see if that helps,
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

zerozero posted this link in the other thread about this problem.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... leshooting

If you try this please let us know if it did the trick.
giepen.m

Post by giepen.m »

created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
#        Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
        Option      "Backlight"    "intel_backlight"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
That was the one you meant? Change sna to uxa. No change! (apart from that I finally have my backlight issue resolved - hardware keys never worked after suspends).

As to changing the xserver-xorg-video-intel package version: 2:2.21.15-2+b2 (that is the one you are talking about, right?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

As to changing the xserver-xorg-video-intel package version: 2:2.21.15-2+b2 (that is the one you are talking about, right?
I am not sure how to go about it but I think that was what was meant.
giepen.m

Post by giepen.m »

I could take the version from the debian page:
2:2.21.15-2 (without the +b2). But there is no .deb file on the debian page, only tar.gz (don't have too much experience with make...)
Open for suggestions and instructions: as the graphics driver seems a bit! important to me and this is my productive system + I have to be quite productive right now I would like not to change the driver without advice
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I only see the b2 version when checking versions with Synaptic.

Edit: Found the packages.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ideo-intel

I wish there was some instructions specific to this problem though...

Edit 2: Seems risky in my opinion without any conformation or information to use as a guide.
atarax

Post by atarax »

zerozero wrote:have you tried to force the use of "uxa" backend https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... leshooting
According to the Arch HowTo I did this:

sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
gksudo pluma /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

There I pasted this configuration:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
Saved the file and restarted the machine. Unfortunately to no avail.
Then I learned that the X configuration for LMDE is in another place, so I did the same here:

gksudo pluma /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Still the bug persists. :cry:
giepen.m

Post by giepen.m »

About the versions: you are right, same on the debian page (+b2). I thought I had only seen it with synaptic and that +b2 is some sort of adapted version for (b)etsy = LMDE(2)...
giepen.m

Post by giepen.m »

Question: is there a way to join this thread with the other one active on the topic?
atarax

Post by atarax »

I booted my machine with other Linux Distributions to check what the situation is there. With lmde-2-201503-mate-32bit.iso the bug can be reproduced as expected. With linuxmint-17.1-mate-32bit.iso the issue does not appear, but this does not say much, since it uses a different kernel (3.13.0) and so a different graphics driver.
BUT: debian-live-8.0.0-i386-mate-desktop.iso uses the same kernel and graphics driver, still the bug cannot be reproduced there. I don't know if one can conclude now that the driver is not the source of the problem. :?

What happens is that background images, icons and viewport areas disappear or do not load. To me this looks like a memory management issue. Maybe the allocated memory is just too small or hijacked by some other process.
Last edited by atarax on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Another community member had stated that the bug was not present in Debian itself. I checked out the Debian forum and found no posts about this bug. We know it's not specific to the DE being used. We have tried different configurations with no luck. The kernel is not the problem because the bug does not show up in Debian.

What's left? We are missing something... The only major differences between LMDE 2 and Debian is the use of MDM, newer version of Cinnamon, Firefox, Thunderbird, Totem is older in LMDE 2, Mint tools, Flash and a few codecs. I am sure I am forgetting a few things but there is not a whole lot of difference really.

Out of the differences the only one that really stands out in my mind is MDM but how could it possibly cause this? The bug acts a lot like the screen is not refreshing. We can rule out the difference in applications because Debian users also install packages from the non-free repos and are not experiencing this.

There are differences between LMDE 2 and the Ubuntu based editions and I have only seen one post from someone with ATI graphics that had this problem. Is it possible that something about the way MDM is configured could trigger this bug? I might be grasping at straws but there has to be a reason this bug is only affecting Intel graphics in LMDE 2.

Can anyone think of anything we might have missed?

Edit atarax, could you see what Debian is using for it's greeter from one of the Live CD's? I thought they were using Light DM or GDM but I can't remember.
atarax

Post by atarax »

exploder wrote:atarax, could you see what Debian is using for it's greeter from one of the Live CD's? I thought they were using Light DM or GDM but I can't remember.
Synaptic tells me that these packages are installed:
lightdm v1.10.3-3
lightdm-gtk-greeter v1.8.5-2
liblightdm-gobject-1-0 v1.10.3-3
But if they are used for the greeter I don't know.
GDM packages are not installed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”