Kernel upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Kernel upgrade

Post by exploder »

I came across this today and thought it might be of help to some community members running LMDE 2.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-i ... 8844.shtml

It is of course a try at your own risk type of thing but with so many having issues with Intel graphics I thought it might help. Some community members reported the issue was resolved by installing a newer kernel and others were looking for some guidance on how to go about upgrading the kernel. Please bear in mind this is a try at your own risk solution and IF it should resolve the problem PLEASE let others know your results.

Please back up any important data before attempting this just in case things go wrong.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: Kernel upgrade

Post by Crewp »

Thanks exploder, very helpful, you are always on the ball. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I asked for conformation that this kernel does indeed work in Debian 8 in the comments section of the article. Better safe than sorry!

Edit: I asked the guy that built the kernel if it will run under Debian to get a response to my question. I will post back when I get a reply. :)

Edit 2: According to this statement it should work fine.
They can even be used in Debian Jessie (Debian 8.1).
Last edited by exploder on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I installed the kernel on 64 bit LMDE 2 Cinnamon and can confirm it does work with the Debian base. The beep from the system speaker has returned though and the previous fix does not turn it off but that is very minor. On a positive note though I now have 4 speakers working with the new kernel! With the original kernel only the 2 external USB speakers worked, now my built in speakers in my monitor are also working!

I will get the beep on shutdown figured out, it's a minor annoyance and it sure is nice to have all my speakers working! :D I still do not advise upgrading the kernel if all your hardware is currently working. If you suffer from the Intel bug though it might be worth a try. I did get some module errors when I installed the exton kernel but at least on my hardware it did not cause any problems.

Edit: Absolutely nothing would get rid of the beep on shutdown and restart... As soon as I switched back to the default kernel the beep was gone.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

I think that if that beep bothered me all that much, I would replace the speaker with an 8-ohm resistor.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tried the Liquorix 4.1.6 kernel and the beeping on shutdown and restart was gone using the same fix I used with the default kernel. Nothing would get rid of the beep using the Exton kernel so there has to be a problem with the way the kernel was built... The kernel module for pcspkr was not loaded, blacklisting it had no affect, alsamixer settings had no effect and even a custom config file would not work. I guess I could have lived with the beeping but I would rather not.
BeaverPaw

Post by BeaverPaw »

It might be of use to you to know that the Linux kernel in the official Debian backports is now at version 4.1; you may have less issues with official backports than with third party builds. Maybe, this isn't ALWAYS the case...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks BeaverPaw! I have never tried enabling the backports, any advice?

Edit: Never mind I got it added. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”