LMDE cinnamon in rendering Intel HD 5300

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
happenstance1

LMDE cinnamon in rendering Intel HD 5300

Post by happenstance1 »

Hi,

Just purchased an Asus ux305fa-usm1 because I needed to upgrade and researched and found it plays well with linux. Ubuntu works out of the box, but I don't care for unity and like Debian as a base. Live boot from USB (no disk drive) cinnamon starts in rendering mode. Laptop spec:
Intel core m 5y10
Intel HD 5300 integrated graphics
Is this a graphics problem (driver issue), do I need to update kernel, should I even worry about it???
Can get more detailed spec if requested.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: LMDE cinnamon in rendering Intel HD 5300

Post by killer de bug »

Could you please return the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
happenstance1

Post by happenstance1 »

System: Host: mint Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.4.7 (Gtk 3.14.5+4) Distro: LinuxMint 2 Betsy
Graphics: Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 256 bits)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

As I said I have not yet installed or updated. Might just need to install and update.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Well you are right! Installing, upgrading Cinnamon to the last version and upgrading to a more recent Kernel would definitely help. The 3.16 kernel is more than 1 year old. Your graphic card may require a new kernel to work properly. :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

AFAIK broadwell requires the newer kernel and intel driver from backports
happenstance1

Post by happenstance1 »

Read around some more online. Sounds like installing it, manually updating (read as: updating via terminal) to cinnamon 2.8, upgrading kernel to 4.0+, and installing version 2:2.99.917-1 of Intel video drivers would do the trick. :? Problem I'm concerned about is this. The whole reason I chose LMDE 2 in the first place is:
#1 Debian's stability vs Ubuntu's.
#2 That wonderful thing they call Cinnamon
#3 Debian's tendency to be a tad faster than Ubuntu
If I have to end up doing the work listed above, LMDE 2 ends up no longer "stable" with the 4.0 kernel and latest Intel video drivers installed from backport. I know that this may not be that big of an issue with some, but it is to me. From my view of things might as well go with Ubuntu 15.04+ with Cinnamon DE installed (unity hater here) cause it just works "out of the box".

On another note, anyone know when the next stable release of LMDE will be and what kernel it will have?

Return to “LMDE Archive”