Graphics driver

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cgrif288

Graphics driver

Post by cgrif288 »

HI All,

I have the following graphics card in my LMDE Betsy installation:

AMD Radeon 6450/7450/8450

I haven't done anything special with changing graphcis driver since installing the OS.

Every now and then the colors go ballistic and get all washed out, mostly after the screen goes to sleep and wakes up. If I hit ctrl-alt-F5 and then back to ctrl-alt-F7 and it fixes it. But I'm wondering if it would be better to just use a different graphics driver.

Right now I don't even know how to see which driver was installed when I installed the OS. How can I figure out which driver is being used by the system?

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Graphics driver

Post by jimallyn »

You can find out which driver is in use by opening a terminal and entering inxi -G.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
cgrif288

Post by cgrif288 »

It is:

chris@mint ~/.thunderbird/507t1u2e.default $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2

Is this the best driver to be using?
anselm70

Post by anselm70 »

Hello,

You are using the open source driver, to use amd's driver I followed the instructions from here http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... n-8-jessie

Just copy and paste the directions in a terminal. Change the version numbers in the directions to match the current amd driver.

Just remember this amd driver only works up to kernel 3.19, amd is supposed to release new drivers for the newer kernels sometime this summer.
xrhstaras

Is your problem solved ? I can help you if you want.

Post by xrhstaras »

Is your problem solved ? I can help you if you want.
I'm the unfortunate owner of an amd graphics card and i succeed installing the catalyst and run games with good performance.
If you need my help i'm here

Return to “LMDE Archive”