Not mounting disk drive.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Not mounting disk drive.

Post by Mister.T »

I have two machines. Both machines have the options of LMDE 2, Linux Mint, or Windows. On both machines I have identical issues. The disk drive will not mount either automatically or manually using LMDE 2. The disks will however play perfectly through VLC by opening the disk there. Neither the Mint 17.3 or the Mint 18 options have this issue. Neither does the windows system. I have checked libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2 and both are present. And I have already established that there is no Hardware malfunction. As I have this problem on 2 separate machines, I conclude that I can't be the only one. Not looking for a "Workaround", as can play the said disks via VLC. However I would appreciate a solution or a fix.

A little point to make: This issue was not present in the previous LMDE (1) installations.

Help needed. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645
CapnGimp

Re: Not mounting disk drive.

Post by CapnGimp »

I have the same problem. I have 5 different physical disks in my case and one usb(laptop drive) connected outside to carry around with me, xfer files to other computers etc. I have always had to go to VLC first, upon reboot to SEE these drives and use open file, from the dropdown menu and click on each drive/partition individually to mount and make them visible on my desktop. I wish there was a workaround as now I have to reboot multiple times for them to eventually show up in vlc now. I then go to Linux Mint 18 and work from there. Sooner or later they show up in LMDE2....not this morning though. HELP!!
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

In ancient times we added filesystems we wanted to be mounted at boot time to the /etc/fstab. Does this not work any more? Or I misunderstood and this is not your problem?
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

etc/fstab is not in etc?? even under root
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

CapnGimp wrote:etc/fstab is not in etc?? even under root
Not etc/fstab, /etc/fstab. See man fstab, too.
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

it doesn't exist, I meant when I opened the file browser as root, /etc/fstab doesn't exist I open the filebrowser, it has HOME and filesystem (trash network...) I click filesystem and right click over etc and 'open as root' type the password and it opens and does not have the folder fstab.... ok, sorry!! scrolled down for the FILE fstab and it is here :)
# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda5
UUID=53444b1a-bae6-4e05-83da-a3b271feb17e / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1

thats it, what do I do from here?
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

tell me how to add a partition or drive and I will apply it to the others thanx
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

I will look in the man if I have probs I will ask Thanks a bunch, NOT thinking clearly today
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

# /dev/sda5
UUID=53444b1a-bae6-4e05-83da-a3b271feb17e / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1

I am assuming this is the info that I will have to add for each of the other partitions(I have around 12)
getting the info for uuid from gparted and changing the filesystem type accordingly, correct?
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

blkid will give you UIIDs. Of course you need to set proper mount point. It can be anywhere in your system, even in your home directory.
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

if you do not care for typing there is an entry in the menu system under accessories, DISKS
click it to open a GUI that does this for you, highlight the disk you want to manage,
click on the partition you want, then the two gears icon,
and you see a slider that has automount ON, turn it OFF
THIS will make your partitions auto mount now

I did this in Mint 18 when I loaded it and forgot
I have been using LMDE1 and 2 since 2012...opening them with vlc after each reboot :roll:
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

I appreciate your help AscLinux, very much!
This gui saved me all that typing and believe me I can't type fast because of disabilities
Screencap.png
GreyBeard51

Post by GreyBeard51 »

I have Mint 17, I tried this and it didn't work, also after rebooting, I couldn't manually mount the second HD. I had to slide the slider back to off, and reboot again before I could manually mount it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”