Strange issue printing with Brother printer over network

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Doubly

Strange issue printing with Brother printer over network

Post by Doubly »

I have a Brother MFC-9840CDW at a static IP address, and two computers set up to use it. The two computers have the same motherboard, but different Sandy Bridge processors. Both are running LMDE2.

With Computer 1, the printer installs and prints just fine using IPP (as well as LPD) and the PPD file from Brother. It also works with the Brother driver.

With Computer 2, the printer seems to install fine using just like Computer 1. The problem with Computer 2 started with errors trying to print. I reinstalled, and now it prints fine, but I get no output. What I mean by that is CUPS reports that the print completed successfully, the printer lights up and starts making sound like it is preparing to print, but just when I expect the paper to be pulled from the tray to print, the printer stops as though it completed, and there is no printout. No error messages are displayed.

I should also mention that I have a second Brother printer (HL-3170CDW) connected to the two computers the same way (both using IPP and the binary driver from Brother), and both computers print just fine on this printer.

So it seems that there is nothing wrong with the MFC-9840CDW printer since it always print just fine from Computer 1, but there's also nothing wrong with Computer 2 since it can print just fine on the HL-3170CDW.

Is there some configuration file somewhere that might be causing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”