I'm a big fan of linux mint debian edition but i have a problem with the kernel version

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xrhstaras

I'm a big fan of linux mint debian edition but i have a problem with the kernel version

Post by xrhstaras »

I'm a big fan of linux mint debian edition but i have a problem with the kernel version, its too old and i need a newer kernel version for certain hardware to work . Is it possible to install a newer kernel version without having problems? or is it possible to turn to debian unstable ??
I like to have bleeding edge packages !
Please explain the process , thank you again !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zill

Re: I'm a big fan of linux mint debian edition but i have a problem with the kernel version

Post by Zill »

xrhstaras wrote:I'm a big fan of linux mint debian edition but i have a problem with the kernel version, its too old and i need a newer kernel version for certain hardware to work . Is it possible to install a newer kernel version without having problems?
It is possible to install a newer kernel version from Debian Backports but there is no guarantee that you will not experience problems, particularly if you use proprietary graphics drivers such as those from Nvidia or ATI.
xrhstaras wrote:or is it possible to turn to debian unstable ??
Again, it is possible for you to install a new system based on Debian unstable (sid) but this will not be compatible with your current LMDE2 system as this is based on Debian stable (jessie). Note that you must never mix unstable repos with stable repos! See "DebianStability"
xrhstaras wrote:I like to have bleeding edge packages !
LMDE2 is intended to give a stable out-of-the-box experience by using reliable tried-and-tested packages. Inevitably, this cannot include bleeding edge packages! Please see "DontBreakDebian" and, specifically, "Don't make a FrankenDebian" and "Don't suffer from "Shiny New Stuff Syndrome"
xrhstaras

Re: I'm a big fan of linux mint debian edition but i have a problem with the kernel version

Post by xrhstaras »

Ok !
So i could install a newer kernel version by adding a repo.
Is it possible to have use synaptic for finding and installing easier ?
I'm having linux mint cinnamon edition 18 with a repo for the newest mesa and amd drivers and i have a good level of 3d performance right now, but i always wanted to have debian installed and keep it rolling it would be cool !.
Last edited by xrhstaras on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Zill is absolutely right. :)

I've used the backported kernel with a few minor issues (network-manager died after suspending, and I had to either kill it or log out). Others have perfect results, or find they can't use it at all - YMMV. It's trivial to go back to the old kernel, though, so no harm experimenting with the backported kernel if you want.

One more thing I want to point out (since you say you like new packages). LMDE is not compatible with PPAs! If you need them, then LMDE is not the distro for you. ;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

xrhstaras wrote:Ok !
So i could install a newer kernel version , how is that done ? by finding the deb package from a website or something ?
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Basically, you do this:
1. Add the backport repo:

Code: Select all

sudo su
echo -e deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie-backports.list
apt-get update
exit
Now install the backported kernel. We'll install a meta-package so you will get kernel updates as they become available (level 5, so check your Update Manager carefully).

sudo apt-get install -t jessie-backports linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64
You should see this:

Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  linux-base linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 linux-headers-4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 linux-headers-4.6.0-0.bpo.1-common linux-image-4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
  linux-kbuild-4.6
Suggested packages:
  linux-doc-4.6 debian-kernel-handbook
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 linux-headers-4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 linux-headers-4.6.0-0.bpo.1-common linux-image-4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 linux-kbuild-4.6
The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-base linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64
3 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 155 not upgraded.
(may vary slightly)

Choose "Y" and reboot when the installation is finished.
Please note that this is for the 64-bit kernel. If you have a 32-bit machine, there won't bee an "amd64" at the end of the package names. I don't remember if there is an "i386" instead; if you have a question just ask here and we'll try and work it out.

Once you've rebooted, verify that you are running the backported kernel:

uname -r
You should see something like this:

4.6.0-bpo
Cheers!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

Thank you very much
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

Tell me weird but right now and with my experience in a ton of linux distros from year 1999-2000 i found nothing better than debian !
I am very happy linux mint has a debian distro , maybe should moved to debian permantly like so many other big distros have done.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Just for fun, in a virtual machine, you could try setting the repos to unstable. Once you go there, you cannot go back. And you _will_ rip the warranty sticker off your lmde. But on several distros, like #! (no longer there), bunsenlabs, solydxk, I had taken a debian stable repository set and replaced them with debian unstable using the siduction repos (or linuxbbq). YMMV.
-Hinto
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xrhstaras wrote: I like to have bleeding edge packages !
Then Debian is not for you. And therefore LMDE is not for you.
You can turn on testing and unstable on your LMDE system, but you will break for sure Cinnamon in the near future (if not now). If you have XFCE or Mate, you may have better results.
deleted

Post by deleted »

^siduction has a Cinnamon edition (and gnome, and kde, and lxde, and lxqt, and xfce)
-H

Return to “LMDE Archive”