Lenovo W530 external monitor via VGA not working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
carlnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Lenovo W530 external monitor via VGA not working

Post by carlnielsen »

I have a Lenovo W530 running LMDE2. When I plug an external monitor into the VGA port, the monitor detects that it is plugged into something (No Signal display on the monitor disappears and it enters power saving mode as it is not receiving anything from the laptop yet). However, Monitor Preferences (Preferences... Displays) does not show the external monitor and xrandr reports "VGA2 disconnected".

I am not really sure where to start diagnosing the issue. Any assistance would be most welcome.

Note: I have a second laptop (running Mint XFCE) and plugging the monitor into that VGA port with the same cable works perfectly. So it is not a hardware problem with the cable or monitor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jsch38
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo W530 external monitor via VGA not working

Post by Jsch38 »

Here the solution suggested by the user manual for your laptop:

External monitor problems:
• Problem: The external monitor is blank.
Solution: To bring up the image, press Fn+F7 and select the desired monitor. If the problem persists,
do the following:
1. Connect the external monitor to another computer to make sure that it works.
2. Reconnect the external monitor to your computer.
3. Refer to the manual shipped with the external monitor to check the resolutions and refresh rates that
are supported.
– If the external monitor supports the same resolution as the computer display or a higher resolution,
view output on the external monitor or on both the external monitor and the computer display.
– If the external monitor supports a lower resolution than the computer display, view output on the
external monitor only. (If you view output on both the computer display and the external monitor,
the external monitor screen will be blank or distorted.)

Here is link to the user manual I found:

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/con ... _ug_en.pdf

Return to “LMDE Archive”