LMDE 2 Mate 64 small hardware report

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Uftypk

LMDE 2 Mate 64 small hardware report

Post by Uftypk »

Hi all. I'm a Debian user trying to make my family use linux. So looking for more user friendly "GUish" distro.
I like your system very much BUT it's impossible to use it's guish features on small screens. I tried to put it on hp mini (10,1 screen). All the system windows (from the very install screen till screen and keyboard settings) don't fit on the screen and i have to guess which button i shall press to continue.
So now testing LXLE
Cheers
P.s. It's a pity that there are no support for other DE (xfce... lxde..) I tried lxde and only part functions worked normally.
Sorry for my clumsy english.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE 2 Mate 64 small hardware report

Post by kevinthefixer »

Uftypk wrote:Hi all. I'm a Debian user trying to make my family use linux. So looking for more user friendly "GUish" distro.
I like your system very much BUT it's impossible to use it's guish features on small screens. I tried to put it on hp mini (10,1 screen). All the system windows (from the very install screen till screen and keyboard settings) don't fit on the screen and i have to guess which button i shall press to continue.
So now testing LXLE
Cheers
P.s. It's a pity that there are no support for other DE (xfce... lxde..) I tried lxde and only part functions worked normally.
Sorry for my clumsy english.
First, let me say from experience that you are wasting your time trying to make your family use Linux. If they understand the difference at all, they'll simply ask to have Windows back so that they can run some specific software they're used to, even if there are better Linux alternatives.

Second, for a more user-friendly experience, try the main Linux Mint, now v18 "Sarah". XFCE is available. For that matter, you can run XFCE in LMDE2 also, and if you're a Debian user I would think you could figure that out yourself.

However, both versions are targeted at desktop systems. For something as small as you describe, you might try one of the tiny distros, maybe Damn Small Linux or Puppy. I have LMDE2 on a 12" Toshiba netbook, but I can't see running this large an OS on anything smaller.
Uftypk

Post by Uftypk »

Thank you all for your advices, BUT THE MAIN AIM of my topic was - let the developers know that current OS does'nt work propelly on small screens. (And i didn't asked for any advices)

And I have a small question to the person moderated my post - "removed useless statement about password"
Can anybody explain me for what purpose you force users to make password that consit of 10 characters and contain letters in different register, numbers, special symbols etc etc etc???! What are you going to guard with such pass? User will "remember" it in browser and it doesn't matter how long and strong is the pass when you are trying to steal it from browser.....
Andy-A

Post by Andy-A »

To reach the parts of windows off the edge of the screen, hold down ALT and drag the window with the mouse. Once Mint is installed you should be able to change the screen resolution.

As for the password, Linux Mint was hacked recently (a backdoored version of the installer uploaded among other things) - caused a bit of a panic.
ulli_m16
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ulli_m16 »

@uftipk
My answer might be late as your question is from Nov.
But: LMDE (and the LM main edition as well) run both perfect on small 10" devices. I installed in on a HP mini 5103. It is not a question of the size of the screen, but of the resolution.
Linux Mint 20.2 (64 Bit) - Apple MacAir
Linux Mint 21.2 (64 Bit) - Desktop
Ubuntu Mate 18.04.5 (32 Bit) - HP 5103 netbook
CP/M 2.2 (8 Bit) - Northstar Advantage

Return to “LMDE Archive”