DVD not mounting

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kilwillie

DVD not mounting

Post by Kilwillie »

First major annoyance I've run into with this setup. Installed LMDE 2 Cinnamon 64 about a month ago. At first, it would automatically mount DVD's when I put them in or if they were already there on reboot. About a week or so ago, it stopped. They no longer appear on the desktop. If I try to click on the drive in Nemo, it says "Unable to Mount". VLC and Handbrake actually will see and play them, but xPlayer will not. Unfortunately, I've been having flickering issues with VLC (only on DVD's) that does not happen in xPlayer. I haven't made any major changes to the system other than updating the kernel to patch Dirty Cow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: DVD not mounting

Post by deepakdeshp »

Boot into the older kernel and test to confirm that it is the kernel problem.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=183449#p951025
Please try upgrading kernel to the latest version from update manager and reboot.
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Kilwillie

Post by Kilwillie »

It's already at the latest version due to the Dirty Cow issue.

Code: Select all

sam@debian ~ $ uname -a
Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

deepakdeshp wrote: Please try upgrading kernel to the latest version from update manager and reboot.
@deepakdeshp: We do things a bit different on LMDE. There's not option to upgrade to a newer kernel version through the update manager - it's 3.16 for life! :mrgreen: However, our kernel updates within the 3.16 series arrive through the Update Manager as a level 5 update, and (IIRC) that then becomes the only kernel version visible from the Grub menu.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”