Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE-2 and Nvidia drivers?

Postby feffer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:22 pm

In the past, I've had to install nvidia drivers in Mint 14 and early LMDE to get good display quality; the generic linux drivers weren't up to it. I just installed LMDE-2 (as a clean install) and the quality seems fine with the video driver included with the iso. The login screen is a bit sub-standard, but that's not an issue for me. My question is this: should I install nvidia drivers from the repo or just leave it alone.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Re: LMDE-2 and Nvidia drivers?

Postby Fred Barclay » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:25 pm

My personal opinion would be, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :lol:
Then again, that's just me. I hate debugging graphics problems, so I'm severely disinclined to mess with graphics drivers.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

zorzi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zorzi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 am

I think like Fred.

If it works for you, then don't touch it. Moreover, the nvidia graphic drivers install is less easy than on other ubuntu-based Mint distributions.

I you meet real trouble (with videos for example), then maybe you'll need the nvidia-driver. Follow this wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / Debian Stretch (XFCE)
Laptop: Packard-Bell EasyNote G1320 (Celeron 1,3 Ghz, ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP, Ram 1,2 Go, HD 40 Go) / Debian Stretch

Andy-A
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Andy-A » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:24 pm

I found that I could not resume after suspend, when using the nouveau drivers (black screen).

That's the only reason I'm using the nvidia 304 legacy driver. I prefer the screen colours and resolution I get with nouveau, which I haven't been able to duplicate in the nvidia x-server settings
LMDE2-64, MATE 1.18, on a 10 year old PC

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kevinthefixer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:56 pm

The only issue I've had with the Nouveau drivers is a slight "tearing" of the screen while scrolling or (occasionally) watching videos. Some gamers have reported poor video response, poor enough to make the proprietary driver mandatory for them. If you need the Nvidia drivers, though, it isn't as bad as it might seem: in Software Manager, install nvidia-detect, and run it in terminal. It'll tell you what Nvidia chipset you have, and recommend the proper driver package. Back to Software Manager, install that driver package, then install and run (again in terminal) nvidia-xconfig (this may be included in the driver package). Might as well install nvidia-settings while you're there. Reboot and you're done. Now, some hardcore WINE gamers require the absolute latest drivers, if you're one of those you should search for Jennifer W's solution.

feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Postby feffer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Yeah, I was inclined to just go with the nouveau driver, but I've always gone with the nvidia ones before. I saw the LMDE tutorial and it seemed to install the nvidia driver w/o problem. Thx for the input. I didn't know about "nvidia-detect" that would probably have been easy too.

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kevinthefixer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Yes, easy and effective for me on two different systems. Attempting to follow the tut left me with about 3cm of screen completely off the display, and a black bar on the other side, which only a complete reinstall fixed. I found the above method almost as easy as the driver manager in the main edition.

Return to “Hardware Support”