2.4GHz CPU maxed out at 650MHz?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Eddles

2.4GHz CPU maxed out at 650MHz?

Post by Eddles »

Hi all,

I have a Dell Precision M4600 laptop with a quad core i7-2760QM CPU and a few months back, the laptop suddenly slowed down but not too bad, still usable. It wasn't until when I tried to use Firefox fulltime, that it was incredibly slow. After a little investigation, seems that there should be nothing affecting Firefox and tried to forget about it.

But I couldn't, it niggled on my mind. So I decided to check the laptop hardware, the hard drive & SSD drive both reported a throughput of 2GB/s which was good. Then I focused on the CPU and a benchmark said an Intel Celeron 1.5GHz was faster! Pondering the issue, I eventually noticed that the CPU never ran faster than 650MHz, despite various software saying the minimum speed the CPU should run is 800MHz and the maximum is 3.5GHz. The CPU never went above 650MHz even if I was running a 8-thread CPU benchmark. I've taken a picture of what I've been seeing - I hope someone can tell me whether I'm seeing is correct, and if so, how can I speed up the CPU please? I've completely re-installed LMDE2 and it's fully up-to-date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Andy-A

Re: 2.4GHz CPU maxed out at 650MHz?

Post by Andy-A »

What happens if you run Mint from the Live CD or Live USB? Do you see the same max processor speed?

Return to “LMDE Archive”