LMDE in Virtual Box - Monitor resolution...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

LMDE in Virtual Box - Monitor resolution...

Post by tenfoot »

Using LM1.1 MATE

Under Virtual Box v5.1.14 I successfully run Windows 7. LM v18.1 Cinnamon, LM v18.0 xfce.

My monitor is an AOC 23.4" with the default resolution of 1920 x 1080 and all the above distributions detect the resolution correctly.

I also run LMDE - 2 Betsy but cannot get a resolution above 1024 x 768 (the only other choices are 800 x 600 and 640 x 480)

All the distributions are up to date.

In every case the VB Guest additions have been installed.

I cannot think of a reason why LMDE -2 does not detect the correct monitor resolution and seek a possible reason for the wayward behaviour of LMDE -2 and, of course, ideally, a solution from the combined wisdom of members, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: LMDE in Virtual Box - Monitor resolution...

Post by Cosmo. »

Press in the running LmDE guest host-n. The runtime attributes show the currently used guest additions. What does this say?

Open in the running guest the display menu; the last entry is (likely) the submenu virtual monitor 1, which offers a number of resolutions. Do you get more than the 3 mentioned resolutions? What happens, if you select a higher one?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Press in the running LmDE guest host-n. The runtime attributes show the currently used guest additions. What does this say?

Open in the running guest the display menu; the last entry is (likely) the submenu virtual monitor 1, which offers a number of resolutions. Do you get more than the 3 mentioned resolutions? What happens, if you select a higher one?

BTW: LM 1.1 cannot be, obviously a typo. Do you mean 18.1?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Hi Cosmo.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Cosmo. wrote:Press in the running LmDE guest host-n. The runtime attributes show the currently used guest additions. What does this say?
Guest additions 4.3.36_Debianr1051129.

However, When I click on Devices - Insert Guest Additions CD,the CD icon displayed says VBOXADDITIONS_5.1.14_112924. Trying to install this leads to the following error

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.1.14 Guest Additoins for Linux
Not enough space left in /tmp (0KB) to decompress /media/zed/VBOXADDITIONS_5.01.14_11294/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run (7932KB)
Consider setting TMPDIR to a directory with more free space.
Press Return to close this window...
I'm completely lost on how to set a temporary directory and point Guest Additins to it :( Your advice would be very welcome.
I'm not quite certain what I should do here. If I go to the Mint Menu and click on Display, I get the following
Screenshot at 2017-01-28 08-05-48.png
but I don't think that is what you are asking for :-(

Searching the VM menu at the top of the LMDE display, under "View" I get a menu which includes Virtual Screen 1. This sub menu gives 12 display options. 1024 x 768 is ticked. All options are greyed out. The display 1920 x 1080 is one of the options given.
BTW: LM 1.1 cannot be, obviously a typo. Do you mean 18.1?
Yes - my mistake :oops: nt)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

tenfoot wrote:Guest additions 4.3.36_Debianr1051129.
With those old GA it cannot work.
tenfoot wrote:I'm completely lost on how to set a temporary directory and point Guest Additins to it
The folder /tmp (mentioned in the output) is a part of the file system. If there is no room the virtual drive seems to be too low on space. Check this: Most probably the size of the virtual hard drive has to get enhanced.
tenfoot wrote:Searching the VM menu at the top of the LMDE display, under "View" I get a menu which includes Virtual Screen 1. This sub menu gives 12 display options. 1024 x 768 is ticked. All options are greyed out.
That is the place I wanted you to look at. The grayed out options are a consequence of the outdated GA. And most likely we must make the virtual size bigger, but I wait now, what you report about the size of the virtual drive and the reported free space there.

In preparation to that: When you created this VM (seems to be some time ago) you also created a new virtual drive - at least, this is the usual way. In this case you had to select between a dynamically sized drive and a statical size; dynamical is the default. Did you select this or did you change it to statical (this would be bad)?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Cosmo. wrote:
tenfoot wrote:Guest additions 4.3.36_Debianr1051129.
With those old GA it cannot work.
Ah!
tenfoot wrote:I'm completely lost on how to set a temporary directory and point Guest Additins to it
The folder /tmp (mentioned in the output) is a part of the file system. If there is no room the virtual drive seems to be too low on space. Check this: Most probably the size of the virtual hard drive has to get enhanced.
Checked /tmp and it has 30. GB free space
tenfoot wrote:Searching the VM menu at the top of the LMDE display, under "View" I get a menu which includes Virtual Screen 1. This sub menu gives 12 display options. 1024 x 768 is ticked. All options are greyed out.
That is the place I wanted you to look at. The grayed out options are a consequence of the outdated GA. And most likely we must make the virtual size bigger, but I wait now, what you report about the size of the virtual drive and the reported free space there.
Thank you for your explanation.
In preparation to that: When you created this VM (seems to be some time ago) you also created a new virtual drive - at least, this is the usual way. In this case you had to select between a dynamically sized drive and a statical size; dynamical is the default. Did you select this or did you change it to statical (this would be bad)?
From the logs /home/zed/VirtualBox VMs/LMDE-1 Betsy/Logs it appears I installed LMDE about 6 Jan 2017. The attached screenshot shows that it has a Dynamically allocated storage, etc.
Screenshot at 2017-01-28 15-44-18.png
In my installations of distributions running under VBox, Windows 7 storage is dynamic, LM v18.0 xfce is dynamic, LMDE is dynamic but for some reason LM v18.1 Cinnamon is a fixed size of 12GB. This is possibly because there was a message from Cinnamon on installation that it required a larger HD than 8GB.

As I run LMDE just to get familiar with it. there is nothing of importance stored. Would it be a cleaner solution for me to delete the present one and do a new installation?
tenfoot
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

tenfoot wrote:Checked /tmp and it has 30. GB free space
Is this from the host? It seems so, as the virtual drive for the LMDE guest has only 8 GB size, so 30 GB free space is impossible.
tenfoot wrote:From the logs /home/zed/VirtualBox VMs/LMDE-1 Betsy/Logs it appears I installed LMDE about 6 Jan 2017. The attached screenshot shows that it has a Dynamically allocated storage, etc.Screenshot at 2017-01-28 15-44-18.png
From the screenshot there should be 2 GB free space, but this does not match with the error message in the previous post, that there is 0 kB free space in /tmp.

In general: Only dynamical virtual drives can get resized, fixed sized drives cannot. So for the LMDE VM it would be doable, for the 18.1 Cinnamon not.
tenfoot wrote:This is possibly because there was a message from Cinnamon on installation that it required a larger HD than 8GB.
No, this is independent. You must have switched the type erroneously.
tenfoot wrote:As I run LMDE just to get familiar with it. there is nothing of importance stored. Would it be a cleaner solution for me to delete the present one and do a new installation?
As said, the size could get enhanced. But in this case I would create a new machine to avoid the investigation, why on a drive with 2 GB size the error message talks about 0 KB.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Cosmo. wrote:
tenfoot wrote:Checked /tmp and it has 30. GB free space
Is this from the host? It seems so, as the virtual drive for the LMDE guest has only 8 GB size, so 30 GB free space is impossible.[/code]

Yes, it is the tmp from the host. Curiously enough, I have just checked tmp from the LMDE (VB) installation and is shows 861.6MB free
tenfoot wrote:From the logs /home/zed/VirtualBox VMs/LMDE-1 Betsy/Logs it appears I installed LMDE about 6 Jan 2017. The attached screenshot shows that it has a Dynamically allocated storage, etc.Screenshot at 2017-01-28 15-44-18.png
From the screenshot there should be 2 GB free space, but this does not match with the error message in the previous post, that there is 0 kB free space in /tmp.

In general: Only dynamical virtual drives can get resized, fixed sized drives cannot. So for the LMDE VM it would be doable, for the 18.1 Cinnamon not.
Thank you for the explanation.
tenfoot wrote:This is possibly because there was a message from Cinnamon on installation that it required a larger HD than 8GB.
No, this is independent. You must have switched the type erroneously.
Possibly. Although I cannot remember doing so.
tenfoot wrote:As I run LMDE just to get familiar with it. there is nothing of importance stored. Would it be a cleaner solution for me to delete the present one and do a new installation?
As said, the size could get enhanced. But in this case I would create a new machine to avoid the investigation, why on a drive with 2 GB size the error message talks about 0 KB.
Right! I've deleted the installation of LMDE-2 Betsy VirtualBox and decided to live dangerously, inasmuch as I have installed LMDE-2 Betsy on my Lenovo Thinkpad 450s. So far it is working well. The only problem I have found is that I cannot install Variety. When I do a sudo apt-get install variety, which is suggested on Peter Levi's webpage, I get a "cannot be found" error message. the website may be down, so I will keep trying.

Years ago I used to run LMDE based on Testing as my main distribution and had very few problems with it. I'm hoping for the same sort of success with Betsy but, if not, I'll hasten to the Forum for help.

Thank you, Cosmo, for your patience and very prompt response to my problem.
tenfoot
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding Variety: I cannot help, because I do not use LMDE.

Create a new thread on the proper place about that. It is very unlikely, that this problem gets found here by anybody.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Cosmo. wrote:Regarding Variety: I cannot help, because I do not use LMDE.

Create a new thread on the proper place about that. It is very unlikely, that this problem gets found here by anybody.
Thanks for the suggestion. Fortunately, I managed to engage my brain (a rare achievement) and searched for Variety Debian Jessie and found the appropriate .deb file. Thankful to say that Variety is now installed on my LMDE-2 and I'm a happy geriatric!
tenfoot

Return to “LMDE Archive”