HDMI problem

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abtygwyn
Level 4
Level 4

HDMI problem

Post by abtygwyn »

Getting to grips with a new laptop sony VPCF11C5E if it helps.

HDMI connection displays the screen but not the desktop icons OR if it does, no video apps will display UNLESS I select duplicate screen. Then it will display on both. Is this normal?

I've noted that the video card is nvidia and I've downloaded the following

MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 330M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a29
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@59.94hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA5 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

Does (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) mean that I'm not using the correct drivers?

Sorry if this is elementary stuff but my last laptop seemed to work out of the box and it was a Sony too!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HDMI problem

Post by kevinthefixer »

abtygwyn wrote:Getting to grips with a new laptop sony VPCF11C5E if it helps.

HDMI connection displays the screen but not the desktop icons OR if it does, no video apps will display UNLESS I select duplicate screen. Then it will display on both. Is this normal?

I've noted that the video card is nvidia and I've downloaded the following

MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 330M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a29
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@59.94hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA5 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

Does (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) mean that I'm not using the correct drivers?

Sorry if this is elementary stuff but my last laptop seemed to work out of the box and it was a Sony too!
Where did you "download" that from? Anyway the framebuffer and vesa drivers are supposed to be unloaded, you can only use one driver at a time, you are using the free "nouveau" driver for nvidia cards, which is as it should be. What problem are you actually having? Seems all you have to do is select one setting to get the results you want, right?

You may find it easier to configure the proprietary Nvidia driver, with its companion settings GUI. It does require some hoop-jumping, though, to install it. Install Nvidia-detect from the software manager and run it in a terminal; it will recommend the proper Nvidia driver; install that driver from the software manager also, and Nvidia-settings while you're there. Reboot and you're now using Nvidia's proprietary driver, with more performance and more options than nouveau. Find Nvidia settings in the menu (should be under Administration) and set it up however you want it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”