Where do my scanned Files Go?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker

Where do my scanned Files Go?

Post by merryoakparker »

Moderator, please move this to the appropriate forum if necessary.

Assistance, please.

I have a HP Envy 700-216 CPU running a dual boot of LMDE2 (Betsy) and Windows 10 on a partitioned 2 Tib HDD. I boot to Windows 10 once a month only for the updates. My Windows partition takes up less than 500 gigs.The rest is LMDE2.

Question: I do have a Brother MFC-490cw scanner connected and have downloaded the drivers. It prints well and copies well.
When I scan a page into it when I am using LMDE2, it disappears. Where does my scanned image go and how can I find it?

On the Windows partition I scan, to "scanned documents" file. I cannot find out how to do this with my LMDE2 using my MFR-490. The option of a scanned file doesn't exist.
Simple steps, please. I may have a MD degree, but not in computing.

Thanks,
merryoakparker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grumpy_geek

Re: Where do my scanned Files Go?

Post by grumpy_geek »

Does this still apply?
Files get saved into $HOME/brscan by default.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

merryoakparker wrote:Where does my scanned image go and how can I find it?
Teach you how to fish - namely, how to find a file.

1 - "Find file" functions in the various file-browsers.

2 - Usually much faster to use a terminal unless you're allergic to typing:

Code: Select all

find -iname "*part-of-name*" 
which will search from the current directory (your $HOME when you first open a terminal), or other forms...
To search the entire filesystem ("sudo" because you'll get tons of permission errors otherwise):

sudo find / -iname  "*part-of-name*"
to search just your $HOME from any location:

find $HOME -iname  "*part-of-name*"
"find" is very general and has a million options; the above are just for finding files by their names.

My version:

cat bin/Find
find -iname "*$1*"
so then I can just type

Find part-of-name
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
merryoakparker

Post by merryoakparker »

Thanks for the detailed reply, but perhaps you can tell me how to set up a "scanned" file into which all my scanned documents will be placed in my LMDE2? I told you I was not that Linux literate so please keep it really simple. Thanks.
merryoakparker
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

@merryoakparker,
I suggest you install xsane and use that to do your scanning. It allows you to set a default directory to save scans to, and then gives you the opportunity to save elsewhere on each scan. I set it to save to the root of my data hard drive just so it's easy to pick which folder to go to from there. It's a very powerful, mature and stable program, with options for image formats, destination (save to file, copy, fax, etc), B&W, 8-bit greyscale or color, oh just about anything you can think of can be customized.

Return to “LMDE Archive”