Beginners guide to SSD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abtygwyn
Level 4
Level 4

Beginners guide to SSD

Post by abtygwyn »

This is really a request for assistance so apologies if this is the wrong place. Admin, please move it if you want to place it elsewhere.

I'm considering buying an SSD to overcome some of my problems with a rather 'hot' running laptop. Is there a beginners' guide to installing LMDE on to an SSD. I've done the obvious thing of Googling it and there is surprisingly little information out there and certainly nothing which I would feel comfortable in going ahead on.

Thanks for any assistance with this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Beginners guide to SSD

Post by Moem »

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

This is the SSD how-to that I've written (and which I obviously recommend...):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
abtygwyn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by abtygwyn »

Thank you :-)

Are these SSD drives detected by the BIOS when they're plugged in, or do they require some preparation before they will be read and recognized. I'm fine with partitioning etc but I've only done this on the standard HDD?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

abtygwyn wrote:Thank you :-)

Are these SSD drives detected by the BIOS when they're plugged in, or do they require some preparation before they will be read and recognized. I'm fine with partitioning etc but I've only done this on the standard HDD?
They should be detected automatically by the BIOS. Perhaps not by some very old BIOS'es.... How old is your machine?
abtygwyn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by abtygwyn »

I think I should be OK from what you say. Three four years max it's running an I7 chip. It's a Sony and the BIOS is not that configurable.

I've got a Crucial BX200 coming which I understand is not the best available but hopefully will do for me

Thanks for the help, I suspect I may be back for some more depending on how things go! :-)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Should be no problem. Good luck! :)
abtygwyn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by abtygwyn »

Just to let you know, the SSD duly arrived, I popped it into the laptop, did a quick check that it would load linux LMDE of a USB stick which it did, partitioned it for NTFS for you know what which got loaded first and then shrunk to leave sufficient space for LMDE2 which is now running. No hitches whatsoever really.

The only problem I have is with suspend, which currently does not work correctly in that if it goes into suspend, it has to re-boot from scratch. Not a major problem because it's so quick now anyway, but I'd rather it didn't need the re-boot. Any suggestions? There seem to be a few people who have this problem and nobody seems to have actively solved it yet.

I was worried about having to change the way the block size or something like that. Is this an issue with SSDs and if so, can I adjust it so that it doesn't wear out prematurely?

Don't want to fiddle around too much as it's all working just fine thanks! :-)

I have a mechanical issue with fan noise, but that's down to the Sony build on this laptop and I'm addressing that with a new fan maybe and re-doing the thermal paste for the 4 cpus and the gpu.

Again thanks for the assistance and any suggestions as to how to keep it running tip top condition would be welcome.

Cheers.

Edit:

I note from your tutorial that some crucial ssds don't like trim if they're too busy. Is mine one of them? It's a BX200 480 GB

My crontab command looks like 1 9 * * * sudo fstrim -v / which hopefully will run it every day at I min after 9?

I do actually run /home (sorry) and I have /boot and /root and swap plus 15GB of unused unallocated space.

This may be where I need some guidance please. :-)
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

abtygwyn wrote: My crontab command looks like 1 9 * * * sudo fstrim -v / which hopefully will run it every day at I min after 9?
I would change the fstrim argument to -a and drop the -v /

This will trim all the partitions and drop the stdio output of the results.

Return to “LMDE Archive”