LMDE 2 - Lenovo T430 - mDisplayport to HDMI no audio

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ronaldtimmermann

LMDE 2 - Lenovo T430 - mDisplayport to HDMI no audio

Post by ronaldtimmermann »

Hi there,
I'm running LMDE 2 on a Lenovo T430 laptop on current kernel: Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2

I'm trying to connect my laptop to an external screen via HDMI. As the T430 only comes equipped with a mini displayport, I've had to use a mini-displayport-HMDI-cable/adapter. The adapter supports sound as does the mini Displayport on the T430. I have picture/video, but alas no sound. When right-clicking the sound-preferences tab I see no choices to choose other hardware than "Built-in Audio" choosing 'Digital Stereo (HDMI) output ..*' does nothing to provide sound.

Actually, now that I've toggled the 'Settings for the selected device' on 'Hardware' eventhough I toogle it back to 'Analog Stereo Output' the device figures as 'Disabled' and I get nothing but static through headphones.. 'Output' tab has 'Dummy Output Stereo' the choose..

What do I do next to solve this/these issue/s?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: LMDE 2 - Lenovo T430 - mDisplayport to HDMI no audio

Post by AndyMH »

Not a solution, just to confirm I've got the same problem. T430 running 18.3 cinnamon. Just bought a new ultrawide LG monitor (mint is great at 2560x1080). Monitor only has HDMI input. T430 sat in a mini dock so connected with a displayport (full size not mini) to HDMI cable from the dock to the monitor. Mint can see it (see piccy), but when HDMI/displayport selected no sound comes out. Searching the web yielded nothing of value (and all windows related).

Not overly concerned as the sound out of my bluetooth speakers is probably better than whatever is built into the monitor, but a niggle. Anybody with the same problem and found a fix?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Update to my previous, now plugged in Dell laptop running win7 with a mini-displayport to hdmi cable connecting the monitor. Same problem, win can display on the external monitor, can see the speakers in the monitor, can connect to them, thinks it's playing sound to them, but no sound comes out.

So, it's not a mint problem, not even a T430 problem, maybe the problem is the displayport to HDMI? I'll try next with HDMI to HDMI, alas only on the Dell and win7 - no hdmi output on a T430.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Frazatto

Post by Frazatto »

I had the same problem with my MacBook Air, fixed it by installing the correct graphics driver, in my case Nvidia.

But HDMI pin standards are a nightmare, maybe the "problem" is on the cable.........had to try 3 different adapters to make my VGA second monitor to work.
decuser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by decuser »

My mDisplay to HDMI cables exhibit the same "sound not working" symptom on Mint 18.3, but work fine in Windows. I have two different setups, both have mDisplay to Hdmi adapters attached to HDMI cables and both work fine attached to my T430 running Windows, but when I switch to Linux, no go. The adapter/cable combo also works fine attached to my MacBook. What's interesting is that I usually have to tell it once to put audio out to whatever device is playing sound (JVC, Vizio, etc) in Sound Preferences on Mac, in Audio Device Settings of whatever video software on Windows, before it'll play, whereas on Mint, that doesn't seem to work...
decuser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by decuser »

OK. Well, that was easy. Actually, In Mint with XFCE, click on the Volume control on the Panel, choose Sound Settings, then Select the Configuration Tab. For Built in audio, choose Digital Stereo (HDMI) whatever from the Profile drop-down. Magically, it works.
spoonsacola

Post by spoonsacola »

Just refreshing this thread to see if anyone has found a successful solution to this issue? I am using a t430 running Mint 19 Cinnamon 3.8.6. I have the nVidia GF108M card in my machine. Using mini displayport to TV via HDMI adapter there are visuals but sound is through internal laptop speakers. When using the same adapter and cable with a macbook pro the sound goes through the TV speakers. I have no options to select the cable under sound settings or via PulseAudio volume control. nVidia driver is the 390.67 version. Has anyone managed to get this to work?

Return to “LMDE Archive”