Intel Core-i5 7600K --- CPU or APU

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Intel Core-i5 7600K --- CPU or APU

Post by mike acker »

I think the Intel Core-i5 includes "Intel Graphics" "on chip" -- like an AMD/APU?

if so I should be able to run an i5-7600K without needing to install a graphics card --
does anyone have one running as such ?

MoBo under consideration for this build is ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151

normally I like to build systems on AMD chips but this customer will want as many USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports as possible; the above MoBo seems to fit his requirements better. (It's not commercial -- it's for my brother ) . hopefully to get another Linux LMDE convert

he complains "computers used to be fun". I've offered that if he'd switch to Linux -- they will be fun, again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
richyrich

Re: Intel Core-i5 7600K --- CPU or APU

Post by richyrich »

Yup, and quite an Intel integrated graphics controller it is; and in addition, built in support for both Nvidia and AMD.
Nice mobo . . :) ($200 up here in Canada)
Integrated Graphics Processor - Intel HD Graphics support
Multi-VGA output support: DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D/VGA ports
Supports DisplayPort 1.2* with max. resolution 4096 x 2304@60HZ/24HZ
Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160@24Hz / 2560 x 1600@60Hz
Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200@60Hz
Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200@60Hz
Supports Intel InTru 3D/Quick Sync Video/Clear Video HD Technology/Insider
Supports up to 3 displays simultaneously
Maximum shared memory of 512MB

*DP 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport compliant, supports DP 1.2 monitor daisy chain up to 3 displays

Multi-GPU support:
Supports NVIDIA 2-Way/Quad-GPU SLI Technology (with 2 PCIex16 graphics card)
Supports AMD 3-Way/Quad-GPU CrossFireX Technology
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

richyrich wrote:Yup, and quite an Intel integrated graphics controller it is; and in addition, built in support for both Nvidia and AMD.
{snip}

looks like this should come together as a pretty good build!

one of the specs is a little odd--- "Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200@60Hz"
I take it this refers to the three connector system --- not to the RGB v Adobe color systems.

by "60Hz" do they mean 60 frames / sec ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

RGB - I'm thinking they are talking about the good ol' vga 15 pin.

60 Hertz is the refresh frequency rate of the signal sent out to the video port (then to the monitor). :)
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

richyrich wrote:60 Hertz is the refresh frequency rate of the signal sent out to the video port (then to the monitor). :)
Yup, and if I might add--60 hz is OK for LED monitors, but it's abysmal for old CRT units. Bound to give you a headache inside of 15 minutes. Will the Intel graphics go to 75 hz at lower resolutions, say 1280x1024? Of course if you don't have old CRT monitors laying around you might not care.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Intel Core-i5 7600K --- CPU or APU -- Red Zone

Post by mike acker »

In system configurations someplace we cross from "General Purpose" to "Gaming". To my thinking the Gaming system is going to be top of the line CPU coupled with a Kick-A Graphics Card

I have an AMD X4/870K cpu kicking around here -- it's socket FM2+ -- but is not an APU -- meaning it does not have the graphics processors in the CPU chip. So on that type of board -- FM2+ -- a graphics card would be required.

but graphics cards are bulky, messy, and expensive and certainly don't seem like they should be needed in a GP box

motherboard shopping is the tough part though; finding a good combination of ports. who wants the old USB 2.0 ports? but i find too many boards with 6 or even 8 USB 2.0 ports and only 2 USB 3. A good layout would have just 2 USB 2.0 ports -- for the keyboard and mouse; then add 4 USB 3 or 3.1 ports with a header for 2 more USB 3.0 or 3.1 on the front of the case. A second header would be good in case the user wants to install additional ports in the from of his box.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

kevinthefixer wrote:
richyrich wrote:60 Hertz is the refresh frequency rate of the signal sent out to the video port (then to the monitor). :)
Yup, and if I might add--60 hz is OK for LED monitors, but it's abysmal for old CRT units. Bound to give you a headache inside of 15 minutes. Will the Intel graphics go to 75 hz at lower resolutions, say 1280x1024? Of course if you don't have old CRT monitors laying around you might not care.
You are buying the latest motherboard and processors only to connect them to ancient monitors?
You need to be slapped silly. :mrgreen:
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

richyrich wrote:Yup, and quite an Intel integrated graphics controller it is; and in addition, built in support for both Nvidia and AMD.
{snip}
of course,..... the intel core i5, being a straight 4-core chip probably has little if any advantage over a similar 4-core AMD APU operating at a similar frequency -- range 3.5 to 4.0 ghz

the A88X-PRO MoBo that we have used in our last 2 builds has been perfectly satisfactory. But this is Socket FM2+. Earlier AMD boards seem to be too heavy on USB 2.0 ports,...... a bit dated. I can't see why a MoBo would have other than 2 USB 2.0 connectors -- these just for KEYBD & Mouse

OTH the system order as I have it written at the moment calls for DDR4 memory -- and this could be a significant advantage.

From a build standpoint I think of Game Systems as a sort of Red Zone...... where you need MAX(Everything). A general purpose/desk system doesn't need that much kick -- most of the time. I think the Big Exception will be in Video Editing. In video editing an 8-core/16-thread cpu would be useful.

For this next build though we are looking at a GP/Office box -- primary application photographic editing

it is also intended as a "stepping stone".... my brother has lamented on a couple occasions "computing used to be fun". To which I have noted: switch to Linux. computing is more fun than it ever was!
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “LMDE Archive”